Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see the 3 part biker buildoff Monday night? 3 builders, an Australian, a Brit, an American. The Australian built an incredible bike, he has awesome metal working abilities. It has to be the coolest bike on the planet. The American had a very nice bike also, the Brit's bike, in my opinion, was butt ugly. He was an arrogant sob, looks like Billy Idol. He had to snivel a little after the contest winner was announced, I won't spoil that for you in case you want to watch it in reruns or have taped it. Very impressive 3 part series, 3 hours long. Catch it if you get a chance on the Discovery channel. Dan

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
I thought the Aussie bike was awesome and should have taken it too. I did like the Brit bike even though it was a different style (yes, he was an a**).

I was most impressed by the Aussie's lack of filler on their metal work...quite a talent. They were all great pieces though.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
the Brit's bike, in my opinion
I loved the Martin bros. bike. I hated the Brit bike with the all flat black, flat flames and car tires all around. The Aussie bike was super also. I liked the remark they made about buying off the shelf parts and modifying them to build a custom bike. They said that is not bike building but it just bike assembly. HMMMM wonder who they were slammin on that. American Choppers maybe? Hmmm?:D It was a good three hours:thumbup:

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
What kind of car did they show that the 2 brothers built? I missed the episode, but there are a couple of guys at work that were going nutz about some old car they built....
Later,
WEIMER

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
show

I thought the aussie builder got ripped off on the deal. That is the problem with fan voting on the bikes. No one had any idea of what kind of skill it takes to bend and weld and polish aluminum with out and filler (bondo) in it. I know they didn't know who built witch bike but i promise the fans could tell what bike was the american one!!!!! I don't imperss easy but that aussie builder sure did impress me...

keith

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am way in disagreement on this one.

First off, the Aussie bike is a blatant Vrod rip off. From the big exhaust pipe to the aluminum skins. Why spend $75K on a bike you can buy for $20K at any HD dealer in America?

Secondly, they tell you the crowd ddoes not know who built what, but the Martin Bros bike had giant M's built into the wheels. Cool bike, but good luck actually riding that thing, enjoy all the rocks that big tire is going to throw at you with no real rear fender.

Finally, that Brit bike is one of the coolest, old skool choppers I have seen in a long time: knucklehead, suicide shift, no levers or wires, spoked wheels and white walls done in flat black with flames....

How do a bunch of hot rod guys who love gassers and drool over a 56 Chevy in flat black dis that bike? You guys are nuts.

7,500 posts about JD Blitz Black and you flame that bike and love the HD clone....whatever.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I like the brit dudes shiftless shifters. liked the aussie;s lack of filler and all metal body work. liked the martin bros longass forks.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The point of this show was to build a bike, not assemble a bike. The Brit bike was cool if you like that type of thing, to me, it showed little innovation, it was an assembled bike. I saw nothing there that a fairly talented builder couldn't take on, there's places in any major city that could have assembled that bike.
Martins bike was nice, sleek, but loaded with their signature trademarks, anyone that subscibes to a bike rag would know immediately who's bike that one belonged to. Talented craftsman that showed their expertise.
The Aussie: Incredible metal working, not a lick of bondo, the fenders, gas tank, oil tank, all formed from sheets of metal and left in the purest form, unfinished and beautiful. I was in awe of their work, there's not many building bikes that have attained their level of skill. 5 weeks of work to do this, incredible. :D Dan

·
Registered
109 Posts
They all are great!

All of the bikes were awesome. I personally liked the Brit's bike. He has different talents, and builds/assembles a different style of bike. It looks different from everything else out there. Function over form. I would have no worries about riding that anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, the other bikes are works of art!

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Can one of you guys ruin the suprise for me, I missed it. To me it sounds like the American won, but just so I know for sure.

·
Administrator
9,834 Posts
different front tire and a waaaay better paint scheme ( flat finish is fine) would have helped the brit bike a great deal.... IMHO

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Martin Bros. bike won. You can see the bikes on Great bike build-off. Gotta run. Back to work. I'm on break at the moment!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts