·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine: Small Block Chevy 350 stock except for
1 5/8 truck headers(I think)
performer rpm
edelbrock air cleaner and filter

I have recently put these items on the engine and it has boosted the power to some degree. I took off the a/c compressor at the same time so that acounts for some of the power increase. The stock hp rating from the chiltons manual is 160hp and 260 torque. What would be a good guess of the power rating now with these upgrades?

My next question is on what to do next. I would like to either get a better cam or rebuild my existing heads or buy newer heads. What would be the most logical next step: A CAM--OR HEADS? Or if I have missed something that could use replaced or improved tell me what it is?

I am new to chevy engines so I still have a ton of specifics learn, but this site has helped a ton already. Thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
Go down to Houchins on Taylorsville Rd. Talk to Carl about a set of SR Torquers from World or a set of 180 Darts. Best bang for the buck bolt on.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Other than bolt on's, heads and cam pretty much ARE your power and this is where most of your time researching, and money spend should be focused on. I am not saying you have to go and buy the most expesive stuff, but you will see the most gains based off your cam and head selection (not considering a blower or nitrous as they give you some great bang for you buck too lol).

When selecting such items (or any item for your ride actually) just keep asking yourself what you want your truck to do. It is an all out racer . . . a cruiser . . . a weekend toy? What sort of gears does it have?

Once you know what you want, more people can chime in with the best options.

My vote is to first make sure you have a well working ignition system and make sure everything is in good condition . . . and then think about some heads and a new cam.

·
Registered
182 Posts
In my opinion the camelback 202 heads are best for the 350sb. This will give you some good power gains even with a mild cam.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Put your money in the heads.....aftermarket or something. Get the biggest expense out of the way first if you have to think poor like me...lol. You will see a BIG improvement in a nice set of heads. Then do a cam to match the heads and gears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Siggy,

I have gone through the ignition, wires plugs, carb and replaced most of the little things that I could think of. I had the tranny rebuilt w/ shift kit and new 2500 stall(. the rebuilder recommended it) The engine was a recent rebuild, I'd say about 30-40K on it. It sat for a couple of years so some things were a bit dry and cracked. I got the truck (76 C10 short box) for $700 bucks and I have put about $1100 in addition to that. I'm just itching for a little more GRRRRR!

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I would also look into Vortec heads. You will have to get a vortec style intake and valve covers, but the heads are cheaper than the aftermarket heads so your overall spending will not be a whole lot more. From what I have seen, if you compare a Vortec head to an aftermarket head in the 180-200cc range and they are both unported, the Vortec head will outperform the aftermarket head in a street (.500 or under lift cam) application. I had a 355 with Vortec heads and a XE268H cam and it ran really well. You could buy a set of aftermarket heads right now, and then get them ported later, and then have a set of heads that are better than Vortecs, but you will spend $1000 - $1500 on a good port and polish, and for that money you could get a set of CNC ported aluminum AFR heads. I would buy the vortecs now, and buy AFR's later if you have the extra money and want more power.

Adam

Check out the flow comparasons of the Vortecs and some other heads. Keep in mind that the Vortecs have smaller valves, and in some cases a smaller runner also, and they still outflow alot of the other heads.

http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/41598/index4.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts