Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow rodders! Just rejoined this group after 15 years of being too busy to play with building cars. Before that, I’d put together a 52 GMC five window pickup and a 46 Studebaker M15 pickup with a removable hardtop. Both powered by 383 stroker’s, 700R4’s and Ford posi rears. Not show cars, not racers, but certainly fun driving, look-getting, cross-state traveling accumulations of parts flying in formation.
Now it seems I may have time this winter to start on my next project- a ‘37 Chevy business coupe. Have a body that’s very straight and rust-free (other than floors) that is just nicely started. Would love to find someone on here that’s done a similar project and can share lessons learned. If that might be you, please let me know!!! Thanks- looking forward to this soon-to-be obsession!

·
True Hotrodder
1,141 Posts
Welcome back!

Look forward to seeing your '37 project and how it turns out.

Reactions: TSpika

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Welcome back, you will notice things have changed in the last 15 years! Facebook has a 37-38-39 group. What is your end product goal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Welcome back, you will notice things have changed in the last 15 years! Facebook has a 37-38-39 group. What is your end product goal?
I discovered that group last night. Looks to be pretty much all parts for sale, not so much advice or project discussions...is that right? A parts source is gonna be very useful.
I’d like to do a modernization that adds new steering, drive train, brakes, suspension, and a semi-spunky engine. Typical hot rod interior, but probably not modifying the overall body very much. I’ve seen some chops of these that look nice but I’m not sure how involved that would get. I’ve been a welder all my life but not a body man. Willing to learn though.
Have you seen builds that made you say “wow, that’s cool” in these?
Thanks! Tom

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yes, mostly OEM parts and a few good looking cars that can give ideas. Agree on upgrading the foundation for today's speeds and roads. Nothing wrong with the body style of a '37 so why change it! When I got my '39, decided to build a new frame with MII style front, Ford 8.8 rear with air bags rear only. Picked up a 2003 LS 5.3 with 4L60E, new radiator and brakes under the floor. None of it shows on the stock body but good smooth ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, mostly OEM parts and a few good looking cars that can give ideas. Agree on upgrading the foundation for today's speeds and roads. Nothing wrong with the body style of a '37 so why change it! When I got my '39, decided to build a new frame with MII style front, Ford 8.8 rear with air bags rear only. Picked up a 2003 LS 5.3 with 4L60E, new radiator and brakes under the floor. None of it shows on the stock body but good smooth ride.
You’re just the guy I’ve been looking for then!!! I’ve gone old traditional smallblocks on my first two, so easy to work with and accessorize. But I’d kinda like to do a more modern EFI engine in this one. But...I’m intimidated by what I fear is a complex computer system that has to have feedback from things I won’t even have on this car to even start, much less run right. Tell me about using the LS...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should save some money and time and buy this one already in MT...but where’s the fun in that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts