Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am going to lower my 1980 Monte Carlo. I found used Belltech spindles on ebay for the front. Used is good not only because they're cheaper, the other problem there is is that in my country such modifications as lowering need the approval of the officials. You'd have to go to a technical control and bring documents which state that the parts you used are suitable for your car and that they're safe to use. I think Belltech will not be interested in writing such documents for me so I won't be able to go that way. Yes hot rodding is not made easy over here... But because g-bodies are not popular cars in Switzerland these days (though Malibus used to be a common sight but scarce now) I hope that nobody will notice the car's been lowered at all and get away with it. Therefore using new shiny parts is not a good idea.

Now I wonder how to lower the rear axle. As I have read many times cutting original springs is a definitive no-no, but for the reason mentioned above I can also not buy new aftermarket springs, if they're red yellow purple or whatever color such springs sometimes have the mess would be perfect.

One possibility would probably be to use original springs from another car which fit and are shorter from the factory. But how to find out which car's springs would fit and have the right length? And does anybody have another suggestion? Thanks folks!

Regards
Martin

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
i found this thread

The CC635 is the Moog recommended "Cargo Coil" for '82-'00 f-bodies (Camaro Firebird) This spring will fit a g-body with the rubber upper spring isolator from the '82-'00 f-bodies. Apparently GM still carries these, they are in any junkyard that has an '82-'00 f-body, and Jegs apparently has poly ones. In most F41 g-bodies, there is a small metal "cup" bolted to the frame, opening downwards. This cup holds the rubber isolator in place nicely, and lessens the likelihood of the spring coming out, but unless you go airborne, this is not a concern.

The reason why the f-body spring is listed here is because it is firmer than the g-body spring as well as having a single pigtail configuration. The g-body springs have a pigtail on top and bottom, meaning that if you want to lower the car, you're out of luck. With the f-body springs, only the bottom is pigtailed (which seats on the rear axle) but the top can be trimmed to lower the car.[this is what i found they are talking about a monte carlo but i think it will work on a el camino they also say a stock s-10 front spring in an a/g body will lower it about one inch]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts