Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'57 Fairlane
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you point out any pictures or journals where it can be seen how Mopar 360 engine would fit to Ford Model A, and what needs to be modified?

Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't help with pictures but I'm pretty sure that chevy v8s are more popular than fords because the rear sump clears the early ford crossmembers better. I'm so ignorant about mopars that I don't know where the sump is located but I'm pretty sure that if it clears the crossmember the rest is easy.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
mopar fit ?

My son has a 36 plymouth coupe project, It presently has a V6 buick core engine, he wants to go Mopar, I haven"t ran across a donor yet. Have never worked on one other than installing a battery and checking ignition wiring, 4 SBC engines, 401 Buick, 460 ford, 2 SBF, rebuilt V6 Buick in the shop and he wants to change.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I have literally hundreds, if not thousands of photos of early Fords and quite frankly have not a single one with a MoPar 273-360 engine. Hemi's yes!! V10 Dodges, yes.

But with that said, don't see any more problem installing that engine then a BB Chevy or 460 Ford. Length wise - it's a couple inches or so longer then a SB Ford or a SB Chevy. Width wise - quite a bit wider, but hoods with bubbles on the side, not unusual to clear heads. You will need a big block (5")recessed firewall or move the radiator forward and use a custom hood - but that usually doesn't look very nice. Other then that, straight fabrication and your ingenuity. Just make sure if you are working on a coupe or roadster you don't shortchange yourself for leg room. A sedan can have seats moved rearwards for that all important room (yes, I've 'been/am there' with that problem)

·
48 Plymouth Club Coupe
102 Posts
My son has a 36 plymouth coupe project, It presently has a V6 buick core engine, he wants to go Mopar, I haven"t ran across a donor yet. Have never worked on one other than installing a battery and checking ignition wiring, 4 SBC engines, 401 Buick, 460 ford, 2 SBF, rebuilt V6 Buick in the shop and he wants to change.

Smart young man you got there. :D

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
go mopar. ?

My nephew has a super bird, 440 cornet, warmed up engine, Resto project early barracuda, beautiful small block engine on the stand ready to go in. won a second place at the oakland roadster show with his old mopar convertible. My brother had a 440 in a barracuda. I was mostly into fords, when I worked at ford as an engineer I drove my buick nailhead powered willys into work every day for 5 years, When I started they told me employees got a deal on a new car, so when I went in to order a 65 mustang they said the deal was on 4 door falcons,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.