Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister came up from florida in hre 92 tracker that she could not get repaired correctly and I did what I could and others that knew about newer vehicles took it from where I left off. What I think originally caused all the problems was the brake light switch shorting out and melting the wires togather that could not be seen by just looking at the wires,a trans was rebuilt along with a new ECM and a bunch of other parts that I cant remember and still a problem existed. I got a factory shop manual and found the wires melted and replaced that section of the harness and installed a correct brake light switch and I got power to the relay for the lock up convertor and it did not work,since the trans was worked on my a chain shop with a national warrranty I had her take it back there thinking it was a trans problem and after a month of tinkering with it came up with the ECM being the problem and a used one was bought and it worked for a short time. My mom knew a mechanic that worked at a used car dealership and he and the trans shop across the street got the convertor to lock up and everything was fine,they found grounds not hooked up and other things they or the previous mechanics had done wrong. She took off for florida and in about 130 miles the ECM fuse blew so I went and got her and I need to know if anything in the trans could cause the ECM fuse to blow or its possibly a bad ECM,I dont want here heading back down and the same thing happening only farther down the road. Jeff

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

JEFF,

I had a 89 Sidekick , which is the carbon copy of the tracker..and it was an electrical nightmare.

The Main problem was Grounding, and corrosion at all the bonding spots. Also those "Push together" Single wire connectors.

What I did, was spent a weekend with a wire brush, electro~Clean, a box of star and lock washers, and went through the system, cleaning and bonding wherever I found grounds.

For the single Connectors, I got some Clear Tubing, slid it over the connectors after cleaning and tightly seating them, then put three small tie wraps on the tubing, one on each side of the connector, and one in the middle..(For strain relief, so they wouldn't pull apart..)

This may be what you want to do to that one..

For some reason, those body's are subject to a lot of "Flex" and aren't too stellar for corrosion control.

Hope She makes her trip OK..

Doc :pimp:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts