Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.
In my blower buildup Ive been told lots of things, but a few stand out when it comes to cylinder heads.
1. You dont need big hi flowing heads to get good power from a street blower, but the lesser the heads potential, the lesser the performance you will get.
2. for mild street blower motors, you dont need aftermarket heads to reach the 500 horse mark.

Well I have a chance to buy a set of 882'2 thats beed checked, opened up for bigger valves, mild port work and have screw in studs and guide plates for a good price. This will allow me to have lower comp7.8-8.2 to one comp. So I can add some boost.
Do I really need a set of 1000 dollar heads for my street car or would these do good on my buildup? Im looking at 1500-6000 rpm's o0n the street. Will these work? Am I wasting my time. I figure Id have 250 or so in em by the time the auctions over????? Let me know. HG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7924340104

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
You didn't buy those heads???

man, they sold for like $300 bucks...what a deal!!! I paid $500 for my 2.05 heads with new springs and guides. What did you end up running?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldnt get a straight up on em, so I passed on em.
I need 64-70cc heads anyway. I need about 8.1-8.8-1 comp and these will give 7.5.
I figured out my bottem end finally. I called 3 cam companies and all had me at anywere from 459-490 lift, [email protected] and 280-300 duration, so I think the 465-488X290-300 and [email protected] will do nicely.Cya Tom, HG

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hemmie i would use aftermarket heads not from the stand point of performance but from the point of thickness of the head for better clamping the side benefit would be the performance.Late model heads are to thin and flex alot.I did a test on late model heads ver. gasket thickness as gasket thickness in creased so did the out of roundness of the end ex. seats to the tune of .005

With out a gasket they would wrinkle less then .0015. Chevys are not as bad as fords because they have 5 bolts per cylinder as ford has only 4 that is why you see alot of the ford guys with o ringed blocks and receive groove gaskets.I want the thickest deck head i can get so the gasket is clamped tight and flat. And since you are using a blower it will require a different cam lobe separation then a carb would and concentrate on the ex. ports not the intake.Get the ex. ports opened up you will see better performance.

mike

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id love some Dart, Edelbrock or pro topline heads, but the xtra 4 hundred or so is killin me.
When I get the money for the heads, I'll post a lookin 4 heads post and you guys can help me out.:thumbup: HG

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pro topline is out of business so stay away from them now because most of the stuff that is out there is junk.If you can Waite until mid DEC. or Jan the new EQ Lighting should be out. they are the same molds used by pro but are being produced by engine quest at there toowoomba plant.

mike

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have some info and cost is still up in the air maybe retail for about $570.00 a set bare from 167cc runners up to 235cc runners 64 or 72 cc chambers straight or angle plugs.

mike

·
Registered
570 Posts
I saw a set of heads at a swap meet that got me curious,the guy had a bunch of blower stuff,but he had a pair of open chamber heads that looked like two barrel 307 ones,they had the small 1.72 intake valves,what was interesting is he had stainless exhaust valves in them that were at least,and I think bigger,than the intake valves,the exhaust ports were all opened up and polished,but the intake side looked stock,well,minus the cool big block springs and such,but he said that was the way to go,his reason for it was low comp,good exh flow and said getting it in isnt a problem,all the big intakes do is take away your room for a big exhaust,thats where you need the help,I think I may do it on my next blower build.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your absolutely correct.
A blower will fill the cylinders with any size intake valve. The exhuast is were you want to spend your time and money. Moving out the old air is the most important.
They dynoed my make believe setup on Chevytalk and the aftermarket heads only made like 20 more horses till after about 6500, then it went way up, but Im only running to about 6 grand, so it wont help me to much other than the newer headse being thicker and sturdier. HG

·
Registered
570 Posts
Another thing I forgot to mention about them was he had the chambers all polished too,less detonation and the loss of material only lowered the comp that much more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts