Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help with clutch

hi again, I posted the question below a week ago and had some of you suggested I had the wrong throw-out bearing as there is a short and long throw-out bearing and that I probably had the wrong one installed. Since then I popped into my local parts store and ordered a new throw-out bearing specifically for a 66 corvette. I dropped the transmission and to my frustration found the throw-out bearing to be the same size as the new one I just picked up. I am left scratching my head again. Is it possible I have the wrong bearing again? Can the clutch for pivot stud have anything to do with this? Or as the car came in boxes could it be the wrong clutch fork or bell housing causing this problem?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated

I am hoping someone can help me out, I year ago I picked up a 66 project corvette. Much of the car was in boxes and there was no motor or transmission. Since then I have redone the chasse, picked up a 427 engine, Muncie M21 transmission, installed a centerforce clutch and have dropped it back into the frame. My issue is that the clutch pedal only starts to engage if I have the push rode adjustment backed all the way to the end of the push rod. I know this can’t be right but don’t know where to start trouble shooting? I am hopping i will not have to pull the motor and tran out of the car !!! any help would be great.

thx

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
1966 to 1969 Corvette with 427 Uses part# 614018 for the t/o brg. That Brg is used on the 10 1/2 and the 11" clutch.

Yes the pivot and the fork would cause problems if they're incorrect.

I would call Centerforce and find out what Brg they use in their kit's just in case they don't use the stock height brg. You might double check your part number for the clutch kit just to make sure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Could be a couple of things. They used two diffrent pivot studs 3729000
1 1/2 long and 3887159 1 3/8 long also they used some diffrent length clutch fork rods. For the 427 it should measure 8 37/64 overall length

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.