Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for HP from my tiny 2.4L Grand am motor I came across an interesting project from GM. A 775HP Pontiac Sunfire, all that from a tiny 2.0L Ecotech engine running at 26lbs of boost. GM claims the engine with all it's configurations and HP can be purchased for US$12,000. They say it is 100% reliable. I don't know though, that's like asking a 350 to pump out 2200HP and be reliable. That's crazy! It works out to 387.5HP per liter.

775 HP Pontiac Sunfire

Marc

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
they had to do something to keep up with the import market.
that would be a monster on the street. I'd drive one.
if you want one, and it'd be cheaper to buy in the states, let me know, i'll deliver it for you duty free.;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, I'd sure like the engine! I know I don't own a muscle car, but it still hurts when you get beat by an import. I was going to pick my wife up from work one night and this older eagle talon wanted to race me, I was giving him a good run until my governor kicked in at 180Km/hr, than he was gone:( . 150HP just doesn't cut it.

Marc

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D It works out to be 112.5mph. Smoothe like butter to boot. It's creepy going that fast though when the other car is only about 3feet from your side.

Marc

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to hand it to the ricer's. I have a 289 falcon my wifes turbo eclispe smokes me. Not for long Im stuffing a 460 in her well see who bite the dust then. Any thing can be done thats alot of power for a sunfire.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
460 in a Falcon! You better get the BIG prybar out for that one. It's gonna be tight.

As for that 775hp 4-banger. Does it run on pump gas too?

Larry

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Friend of mine had a 2.0L Ford Cortina back in high school, cammed and ported it pulled 320 HP naturally aspirated on the dyno...on leaded premium pump gas at 8700 rpm.

Mind you it idled at 1500 and barely at that, still big power from small motors has been around since the dawn of hotrodding. I heard that 900HP was not unheard of for these little "rod" engines if you wanted to turbo them. There was nothing but stock guts in it except for the aftermarket cam, valvesprings and aftermarket intake with a Holley 750DP.

He surprised many big block cars with that little screamer even though it was setup for roadracing and didn't start moving until 5000 rpm. Still the only 4 cylinder I ever thought sounded decent, what a wicked idle.:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Does chrysler have something comparable. I only have about 10,000 miles until I can start doing stuff to my daily driver.

·
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!
363 Posts
Does chrysler have something comparable. I only have about 10,000 miles until I can start doing stuff to my daily driver.
Now thats Ironic, I just put up a vid of a dynasty last night.
Check out my picture gallery 1st one says multimedia, it's a 10 sec dynasty thats turboed or something. Vroooooom. (video). Better yet heres the link to it. http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/1888210SecDodgeDynasty.wmv

Have a good one
Abe

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,812 Posts
Why do I not believe a 2.2 marking 775hp?

I can't see it happening with 23 pounds and the mods listed. My math say's it would have to turn near 12 grand to make that much with torque near the 9000 mark.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
johnsongrass1 said:
Why do I not believe a 2.2 marking 775hp?

I can't see it happening with 23 pounds and the mods listed. My math say's it would have to turn near 12 grand to make that much with torque near the 9000 mark.

You and me both, I was shocked enough just reading the part that completly stock it was good for 275 HP, let alone hitting the 700+HP mark:eek:

Marc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts