Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

261 - 280 of 2969 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Ha. Might have oversold that, theres just a handful of pics. :rolleyes::D

By the time I turned my attention to the A, my iron will to destroy had been bent as told above. Calmly and happily, I approached it like a kid with a boo-boo. Aw there there. Where does it hurt?

When I pulled myself off the car yesterday, my exact stopping point was when, after clamps were holding the door from falling, I turned to look for my air ratchet. I had scooped all (dang near literally) my tools aside in a shameful floor heap along with scraps, screws, parts, and all. Clear over there. To dodge the broom that didn't show.

It was go time. But I wanted real bad to loosen just one screw, at the roof / A pillar holding plate which the door was tucked under. But no time.

Would not have made a difference, in retrospect. Would have taken two more screws for me to have seen the light. Once I took that whole plate off and could overlap at that top right corner... and pushed the door up to match body lines...

Bam. I had done right after all. Indeed, I am my own worst critic / hypochondriac / spaz / whatever. There was the right amount of space for flush fit with gaps, and excluding the top corners, the door fits fine. Sits closer to the drip rail than the other.

One step left because you're looking at a bubble here... can you see how the whole door just turns right north of belt line? Other side is square as you please. Rip was giving me some valid advice by saying watch out for that.;)

By the way I got word that we will get new pre bent drip rails thank goodness. Those may actually be causing a great deal of trouble I am encountering so I will gladly hack the olds off.

I put tape to help see. Dotted lines here help see where door edge overlaps at top right. If you look closely at this and the above images, you can see lines around the window opening. These revealed that the back of the door window opening is tilted in relation to the rest. Obviously, due to the original overlapped door configuration, door top fit was an area with tons of slop engineered in. And since the overlap covered so much evil, those portions of the panels were likely not considered critical during construction. So here we are.

Just a peek inside here. Forgot to get a pic with both doors open. Work in progress, hinges not tied, soggy bottom doors flappin in the breeze still.

And now- :cool:

Ta-da! Catalina has reached the mud man. Epoxy ahoy! Thats Footloose Jr. and I am so glad. He doesn't stop until its a little TOO good. He expressed concern over how tight the gaps are but believe it or not, those are original. I noticed first time I saw it that panel fit was amazingly exact. Giant car, tiny gaps. He will have to keep all fill off the edges but it will look outstanding. Here again though, I have surrounded one pic of something simple with a paragraph of hype, and all thats been done is an exploratory 180 Durablock scoot on one panel. But it looks as though he does have his hands full. A steady stream of progress ought to resume after the break. Thanks for looking, feel free to chitchat or critique and questions are welcome. Failing that, "see" you Tuesday.:thumbup:

Have a pleasant weekend, all.:)

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Whats up? Didn't expect to find anybody here at the pic dump clubhouse today.:D I was out getting mower gas and had to come this way. Thought I would thumbtack this note to the board out front in case anybody pops in to check out the Catalina...

Slick was by the house last night. Thats a relief, we were wondering and had hoped it wasn't jail, morgue, or hospital. It wasn't. He refers to his significant others by numbers for simplicity and theres been a turbulent changing around of numbers because the numbers indicate priority.:rolleyes: There was that plus a fat side job which he desperately needed. As long as he's man enough to stay on part time, we need him and he is good. Not being dead means we might see that. He's worked there as long or longer than I have.

Just updating. You guys may have noticed theres three buildings full of cars and no more than a half dozen time cards by the clock. Each man is important, and keepers are hard to find.

Hey, its Saturday... if I cruise by here after dinner and find any of you hanging out... we can all uncork 'em here then go wake up the town tonight. Just sayin' :mwink:

Later on :cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Making up some door structure on the A today.

Spot where Bryan opened up a tight gap.

Its baaack. Thought I saw the owner of this 67 Datsun last week. The guys just took it out of the storage building into the grey room. I did the bodywork on a rotisserie in 2016 or 7 or... well anyway I think that was my last mud job or close to it. I took it off the frame and got the body to what you see here in I believe final primer. Been so long...

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Drip rails came in-

One of those lengths of spilt 1x3" is now inside the corner of the shell. Trimmed to about a half inch along the short side, it jams into the corner right up against the vertical window channel. Looking down ito the door from the top, the hinge bolts must have a close clearance to the glass and this is about as far as they can go in, really just the top hinge pocket depth is the limiting factor. You can see that I have the post moved inward and thats about where it must end up also. You may spot, at bottom left, where I've also moved the pillar out probably another 3/4". That is helping the panel faces flow better.

Work in progress. Its a start. Really won't know how much is stiff enough until the lower door rust has new metal in place.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
I'll be putting bumpers on the Datsun in the AM, owner wants to see them on to decide if any tucking is in order.

Catalina owner was by after lunch... Exhaust outlets will simply turn down probably under the bumper end which is the most sensible echo I have heard. Both bumpers get a tuck-n-shave but I don't know where they ended up with putting body color on bottom half of bumper. Door handles get shaved, stock underhood metal work stays. Thats about all the gab I gathered.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Catalina owner was by after lunch... Exhaust outlets will simply turn down probably under the bumper end which is the most sensible echo I have heard.

I`m not a fan of the turned down exhaust, around here if a show is held in a grass field or has a dirt lane the exhaust blows dirt around. on a hot ,no wind day it makes a dirt cloud hard to avoid which makes breathing difficult besides making all the other cars dusty.

I know, it doesnt matter to anyone else................

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,331 Posts
Catalina owner was by after lunch... Exhaust outlets will simply turn down probably under the bumper end which is the most sensible echo I have heard.

I`m not a fan of the turned down exhaust, around here if a show is held in a grass field or has a dirt lane the exhaust blows dirt around. on a hot ,no wind day it makes a dirt cloud hard to avoid which makes breathing difficult besides making all the other cars dusty.

I know, it doesn't matter to anyone else................
We get a number of cars at the big shows with turn downs right at the rear axle and YES, some of them are like a leaf blower ! Usually, turn downs at the rear bumper don't stir up as much dust, but still can.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
When I said turn down, I meant like stock stuff has, angled down and slant cut. What bothers me, even since I was a kid, is straight out. Thats the inconsiderate style if you ask me. Ones that puff on your pants leg when you walk by. Dumps is probably what I would call what you guys are talking about, I was thinking more like oh stock CV tailpipes or something. On this car, I don't know why but all appearance items were pretty much off limits as far as me making suggestions. It didn't stop me but I've been powerless to affect any decisions and don't believe a single one of my edited pics or mod ideas were put past the customer. So no worries... if it was something I liked, it definitely will not be used!

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
I'm unsure of proper geriatric vernacular for this as well... I heard they are going to set the headlights back from the bezels just a little. For a tunneled effect. Don't know why but unmodified headlights were never a consideration, to my knowledge.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,331 Posts
When I said turn down, I meant like stock stuff has, angled down and slant cut. What bothers me, even since I was a kid, is straight out. Thats the inconsiderate style if you ask me. Ones that puff on your pants leg when you walk by. Dumps is probably what I would call what you guys are talking about
I knew what you meant and I like slightly turned down and out pipes right under the rear bumper corners. :cool:
1969 and up Chevelle SS and GTO, etc had pipes straight out the back, but with a nice chrome end, which is iconic to the Chevelle SS heritage.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm unsure of proper geriatric vernacular for this as well... I heard they are going to set the headlights back from the bezels just a little. For a tunneled effect. Don't know why but unmodified headlights were never a consideration, to my knowledge.

frenched lights............:thumbup:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
I knew what you meant and I like slightly turned down and out pipes right under the rear bumper corners. :cool:
1969 and up Chevelle SS and GTO, etc had pipes straight out the back, but with a nice chrome end, which is iconic to the Chevelle SS heritage.
Long as they ain't soda straws. I know what you guys mean, too. You just dust mopped your show paint, you sit down in your folding chairs and spike up an insulated cup, and some slob with dumps backs in right next to the wife's chair. Now theres dust on her hair. :eek: Just hope it wasn't her that dusted the car.:pain:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Something else I forgot... when Footloose took over I made sure to point out how bad the panel between back window and trunk is. I spent a great deal of time working all around it then trying to flatten it back out. Welding warpage got out of hand and my best efforts to straighten it with no back side access (the underlying panel is close to it) were in the end, insufficient. He was told to make a new one. I've given him my thoughts on how to pull it off with plug welds only or close to it, and as far as I am concerned, the piece can be flat. Beats trying to blend things in with mud THEN cutting it out. It will give an opportunity to do some rust cleanup behind it anyway.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
I got nothing to show at the moment. Bumpers went on the Fairlady wihout a fight but I had to put one on upside down first. It fit better that way. At any rate, I was glad to find that the body panels match up to it decent, considering I never had bumpers before and it was crashed a little both ends plus had some poor work on a quarter and tail panel replacement at some time in the past. Reason I wanted to make a post is to say I will be a monkey's uncle. Footloose said boss said to Cat customer that he would have me render something, some part of it maybe. I will just listen. But that kind of thing is what I've had in mind... an additional service he can offer "in-house" except I offer it from my house with my overhead if you get my drift. Contract labor, so to speak. If I want to keep a house and this gig, a second income of some sort will be required and I don't do two jobs. I could tolerate doing professional looking edits if they can be worthwhile.;)

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Heres looking down inside the door at the top hinge pocket. Green tape represents the movable window glass. It is normal to have a tight fit here, and to shorten one bolt if not both. A little reflection of threads is all you can see but in the position shown, the bolt might touch the glass and thats where these end up, in my experience with the hidden hinges. No matter where I put the light I couldn't show the black bolts well but the nut plate is clearly visible to the left of the green line.

Where I left off looks same. 5 snuck up today. What you see there is ready to screw that 16 gauge piece over it. Got it to fit like I want but it isn't shown. When I couldn't get the split 1x3 into that back inside corner of the door all the way I had to get a welded nut out of the way behind it first. Now its in there tight enough for a row of welds on the rear side of the door.

A pretty flipper of someone's showed up for spot repairs.

We get some fair insect specimens around the shop since its near a lake. This mantis looks like it doesn't miss any meals. Stanley Rice thought a size reference would help.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
this 67 showed up Saturday for a little work,,but cant get it in until after Christmas for full restoration,,he says it is original but color looks like 61 and oldermm67 should be riverside red or rallt red,,, Yes as you can see hw drives it and enjoys every week, as it should be,,

Nice Nova they just finished building a 64 convertible at the shop,cam in red leaving blackn black:mad:

Attachments

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
this 67 showed up Saturday for a little work,,but cant get it in until after Christmas for full restoration,,he says it is original but color looks like 61 and oldermm67 should be riverside red or rallt red,,, Yes as you can see hw drives it and enjoys every week, as it should be,,

Nice Nova they just finished building a 64 convertible at the shop,cam in red leaving blackn black:mad:
Those are about the only Vettes I can dig, my friend has one that style LT1 swapped with 4 speed and lives on a dirt road so not much use but it keeps a little mud splash on it.:thumbup:

I just wonder whats the deal with the 427 badge on the white convertible. I gotta see that. Wonder if its an LS7. Boss sez guy sez its an actual SS. Being a convertible, thats gotta be a rare thing. Looks like (to me) this one kinda has that "for the wife" look about the color and wheel choices.:eek::rolleyes:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Looks like you have a shop mascot. lol
I noticed it heading for high ground there and was sizing it up when I realized it was doing the same thing to me. Those bugs don't get excited about much, I bet other bugs leave them plenty of room.

261 - 280 of 2969 Posts