Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

281 - 300 of 2969 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If it does have a 427 he might want to run small tires and no Posi,,it would twist that body so bad the doors would not close..

The one Kelly is finishing has a 327 /275 horse 4 speed and I wonder if it will take the twist,,they did install frame connectors,,i am afraid it will come back with cracked paint,,the shop gives Lifetime warranty on paint jobs.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Thats kind of unusual, the life expectancy of good refinish paint is little more than five years for manufacturer warranty purposes. What brand do y'all shoot?

Looks like the old Nova rag has the small tires covered. When I was in my teens, my cousin had SS454 Camino and Chevelles, both black n white and he had the Kansas tag "SS-454". O yea he was cool but later it was an SS454 Camaro, I think a 71. 4 speed, N-50s, slappers. Sure did have to slam the doors on that one. It would be a challenge making any convertible tough enough to really USE what a healthy BBC or B-O-P engine that size puts out. I am not up on my ChevyIIs but didn't think they ever had a big block option in that bodystyle. I am mainly curious if its a natural born 427 or a stroked SBC. I bet thats it. Will try to peek.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
I was encouraged by talk of doing a rendering for the Cat job so last night I played with a bumper tuck and headlights. The outside lamp is 7" with the retaining ring only painted black. The inner is a 5" like stock but with a wide stripe on the bezel around it and black ring. The powers that be liked the idea, it could put the high and low beams in one light, leaving the 5" hole for maybe a combo driving light with turn / park. I've had the staggered headlights in mind this whole time but the black around them was when the idea started to be something. Glad I tried it! Did a copout and just took pic of screen for comparo...

We can just call her a mudcat now-

Heres another vision finally translated into steel. The lower brace is another 1x3 but halved as a C, whereas at the front, vertically between hinges, its cut as an L. The stuff works just about right as far as stiffness that way but cutting heat will make a banana out of it so it takes many scoring passes cooling in between. It is heavier than the 14 ga I said it was, not sure exactly. Anyway, the stiffening cover panel can be set up as bolted, or welded with access holes or flaps as needed. Its getting fairly rigid.:mwink: At least thats what SHE said.:D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I like the way you have built the frames and suicide door hinges,they look great and should hold up the doors on a 73 Monte Carlo,,they had the longest and heaviest door of any car I have owned.:thumbup:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Thanks. My 75 GP same way. I'm not done yet though, theres a striker to put at the other end and thats gotta be a hard spot, too. Latches were wrong, waiting on small ones. All I've done is taken the doors from wet paper sack to maybe pail with bottom rusted halfway out. But I can move on. Had a guy go take the aprons off the frame today. I will match up the post and pillar on this afternoon's door to the other side, install some major body bracing that I have started, get it on the frame with aprons and make 1x3 rockers then go where it leads me. Or something like that.

I decided no more mud pics on Cat. Unwanted attention but not here. Dry pic spell ahead on that one. I could wait until chopping the A to post an update, too.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
I enjoy seeing the build on both cars,,or any car I like to see other peoples ideas and some I will copy or close,,but my repairs are on hold until I get finished with the surgery,,mabe soon,:thumbup:
I was wondering if there was anything new. Recovery first. Postng my current task is all I ever shoot for, detail-wise. Anything else you see is bonus but I favor stuff I worked on a lot. Golden rule applies strongly to posting pics of the progress of others, y'know.

Crazy lots of Catalina front and rear end treatment options were flying Friday. Boss hasn't asked to see anything from me but he responded "Cool!" to the headlight and bumper one I sent last week.

Much as I am inclined to think through work things at home, I just have to quit doing that. Bad for me. Can't muster much creative focus while on the clock and in the noise but so be it. Work to live, not live to work.:thumbup:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Oh... I got started fabbing a rocker for the '30 Friday. Just a couple sticks of tubing welded together with bolt holes that chassis man says will be useless. While in the next sentence saying "Sometimes I can't understand until I see." which is huge for me because it means I've earned the benefit of the doubt after giving it out all these years. Now to hold up my end. Thankfully, my Cat job ideas are run through the "Does it have potential?" filter before being cast aside and thats hard-earned progress, friends. A person's validity of mod ideas does not reflect their bearing of the work load, and only other people can advance your skill at it by acceptance.

One loose end here... doesn't seem as though Slick will be back. Thats a pity.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Chopped the sticky-outy part of one drip rail off then peeled the flange thusly:

Whacked and tacked the section below it, over the door for a gap there. Man, at the B pillar that drip rail really had the roof side held caved in. I now have the right side tack welded and bracketed to the support fixture in the position I wish. Of A and B pillars, the left A is the only thing not yet fully correctly positioned (by my best estimation). Just needs to move outward, hopefully with not much twisting. Due to previous damage and repairs, these panels don't all want to be where they belong. Thats why I have to be so sure about where I force them to go. Rushing certainly won't help that. Signs are good that I am headed in the right direction, gaps are coming around. Door is clamped a little too far closed here:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
If I type this here, its like telling someone and that often helps me. I need to quit this job and dispose of my old car really bad, for the wrong reasons. Folks just can't let me be, and get it in their head I'm somebody I'm not. I have had it and am inclined to hunt.

Heres the project. I took doors off to nearly eliminate whining. I'm working on B pillar position, getting height established with a crossmember between them. The front two bolts at the end of the cowl, after all the hoops I jumped through... lined up great. Judging by rusty witnesses on the apron paint, all is well. And the car is nearly half a foot wider at the bottom than when it came in. Order from chaos strikes again.:)

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Wore earplugs some today and that helped but the day's work was spent undoing and redoing and ended with only negative progress. Car is a mess. All I know to do is go to bed and hope today was the nightmare.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Boyoboyoboy, oh boy... theres supposed to be wood blocks in various shapes and sizes between the frame and body and I did not know that. Finally thought to ask and yep, 10 pc set. If I skip past all the going ballistic and boil it down to reality... man I might as well take a month off and come back when they are ready, this is just ugh. Killing me. Squandering patience I can't muster. Sheetmetal still hasn't even showed up, and still the only way to move the car is rolling on a jack. Like the last one, there will be no tires and wheels during the build. But with this one, a big problem is anticipated with those. I need to at least reference a new set of mounting blocks before I can do another flipping thing. They will say use the old ones to mock it up and I'll go round up any fragments that are were left and are findable and they will be home made and someone will start a sentence with "Can't you just..." and I'll just get in my car and go before they can finish.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,926 Posts
"Can't you just"...............start mounting things up and when the blocks arrive, toss em in the trash where they belong?

Isn't this thing gonna be a hot rod?

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
"Can't you just"...............start mounting things up and when the blocks arrive, toss em in the trash where they belong?

Isn't this thing gonna be a hot rod?
What you're asking is can't you just figure out what all their heights were by experimentation. I did say "I need to at least reference" them.

No, it will have fenders and that makes it a street rod.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,926 Posts
What you're asking is can't you just figure out what all their heights were by experimentation. I did say "I need to at least reference" them.

No, it will have fenders and that makes it a street rod.

Will you be using the wood mounts or rubber mounts?

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
At the front of one door, the door body line is completely above the one on the cowl. Looks like the cowl is at least an inch low. I have no way of knowing how high the tail panel should sit in relation to the cowl. Only info I had is it bolts directly to the frame and you'll screw up and have the body sitting way too high if you do anything else. I'll just take the support fixture out of the car and start from scratch. Yesterday I joined the hinge posts (with pillar off and quarter hanging) with a dimensionally exact crossmember because I found three degrees of variation in the angle of the posts. That would stand alone. I assumed what I needed to do was get door gaps between the quarter and door first but the reality is I need to align doors to cowl first, then skin that with a quarter regardless of butcher work required.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Will you be using the wood mounts or rubber mounts?
I don't know. Maybe a thin strip of rubber at assembly time. I am to shut up and bolt it directly to the frame with only the apron in between is the only info I have. Well, the situation I described above is what happens when you do that to a fitted and jigged body. On the 33 I had to set the body on the frame then go under and slide shims in where the body didn't touch the frame... after the job was completely painted and all.

281 - 300 of 2969 Posts