Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

321 - 340 of 2969 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Originally Posted by idrivejunk
Thats looking darn good, David! Sheetmetal is getting better, for the popular old bodies. Either that or you're making it look easy.

all the body panels came from Gold Star Classic parts,,seem to good quality amd fit great, just a Few dollars more. Kinda like Clint Eastwood
Glad you found some decent stuff. I was trying to peek inside the doors to see if they have added side impact bars to them by chance. I ran into that on a Mach 1. For Chevys we use H&H Classics because they are a couple towns over and honest.

That reminds me... we got a tracking number... Model A parts Monday. It would have been kick butt to weld that Cat panel in today but dang I just ain't fast at fab yet. I'll be sure it looks good though.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
That is all rumor ,we dont really do that kind of thing up here in appalachia n mountians,,,this is cool water we are taking down to the church social ,,really officer
Oh, heaven forbid, no! Of course that is all pure and blessed holy water, Occifer.:drunk: (psst- yours is in the hollow tree now let me go)

Just good natured jocularity there, fellows. I'd hate for you old boys to start making Arkansas references so I'll let that dog lie like a rug. :D

I'm fairly certain our metal slapper happy analyst from up north with the humpy headed 327 can nit pick my panel. :) So I'll just go bug huntin myself, here before dark.

How many ways, correct or not, are there to make that bend at the back? Anyone?:confused:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,926 Posts
Oh, heaven forbid, no! Of course that is all pure and blessed holy water, Occifer.:drunk: (psst- yours is in the hollow tree now let me go)

Just good natured jocularity there, fellows. I'd hate for you old boys to start making Arkansas references so I'll let that dog lie like a rug. :D

I'm fairly certain our metal slapper happy analyst from up north with the humpy headed 327 can nit pick my panel. :) So I'll just go bug huntin myself, here before dark.

How many ways, correct or not, are there to make that bend at the back? Anyone?:confused:

Slapper happy here.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. Like how I said that.....skin a cat?

Oh no, I'm starting to sound like Matt.

Panel looks fine except you need to "move" the bends at the end to flow better.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
What a knee slapper, I'm so happy! :cool: My cat skinnin' recipie at bottom.:D

I had the sharp dolly out already on that driver's side back corner and actually did the Pugsy Shuffle a smidge already. So OK. Corners, bingo but what I'm looking at is...

as said, more curve at ends

tight gap at center

front edge bent down by screws

I can bring the car up to meet the panel in front, that should make the molding fit better. Don't think I want to stomp that brace down or anything like that. I am thinking a single layer of new sound deadening stuck there on top, like whats on the trunk lid skin.

Shuffle that curve out back where its tight maybe, or climb it with the bead roller some more.

Nothing much there but to show how much difference just the right random shot angle makes. Panel ended up too short in front for normal plug welds but I'll be welding new to new here so whatever I do hopefully won't be too touchy. Its not 100% wave free either, heck I put a clamp mark or two. Pretty much did it all with step dies on bead roller with one die backwards after stepping. Tip city, many passes. At the end, with bolt in top die removed and hand mashing panel against side of die for a sharp 90 when repeated on both sides of the bend. I need to make myself a tipping setup.

Will throw down some old pics of that window and trunk jamb soon, just as conversational fodder or what-not.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Heres the main reason why that fabbed panel is necessary. At the time there were too many unknown labor chunks left to go, so we left it alone with it warped up. Turns out, it will be a black show car so here we are doing the current task.

I guess I had been thinking of this, which is a 60 Biscayne, when talking of having fabbed all around the 59 Catalina panel I'm making. The jobs were back to back. :rolleyes: Anyway, tip of the iceberg here... on both sleds.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Pics got jumbled during the Cat job due to my equipment failing, multiple cases. But I'm pretty sure I made the front trunk weatherstrip channel for it and patched beyond it so I will hunt more for those pics. But just as an FYI for readers, the Biscayne front trunk weatherstrip channel is made of two 64 Impala trunk side gutters joined in the middle. These B bodies this vintage rust out the center of the panel below the one I just cut out on the Cat. Its something that can be missed in a fairly thorough inspection due to the location. Same goes for wheelhouses where they join the roof rail back end.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Findage. Not crazy!:)

Heres the Paul Harvey part... that might help make sense of the whole repair I'm doing.

I knew THIS guy :welcome: would not be able to make the whole panel at once. But I figured if I kept it flat as possible, the old large flat face of this panel might end up usable. Didn't quite nail the angle on that window bed (skin not flange) part and between that and the unclean underside plus that brace interfering... well you saw support tabs on that piece and then you see all the hammer and heat shrinking marks.

So the section I am replacing was perhaps an adventurous calculation as a save, which I have been known to make. But replacement was in my plan if needed. There was patchwork required all around the back window, I went all across the roof and around the rest of the trunk gutter. More than I can stand to post! So at the time, we could not be bogged down on the area and needed to build a floor.:sweat:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Showing real progress Matt!

John
:cool:

Sometimes somebody could save some somebody elses a few somethings by having some things somewhere sometime sooner. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I'll never get that bit of sanity back.:mad::drunk: I juuuust needed paaaarrrrts. Still need laaaatcheeees. Kill me now!:evil:

*ahem*

Here we are, starter gaps tabbed all around and ready to slide the pan underneath then heave-ho. Think I'll start with no firewall. Actually, engine out would be good. Theres only two bolts holding the rear window panel to quarters and no screws to roof there yet. How the hell did they ever assemble these floppy bastards in the first place? :sweat:

One thing that looks to have been messing with me is the lower tail panel was mounted too high. Probably because the ends were gone prior to the previous repairs. But that left quarter must have almost been folded at some point, right behind the window. The right must have been mashed down next to the lid when the tree fell. Its a mess and doing everything with it tabbed together is pure sadism. I haven't figured out why folks think I enjoy pain.:pain:

But hey, when I was working in the Cat trunk yesterday, I noticed that the floor is like stepping on a slab of granite with it on jackstands. If I can make this produce crate hard as stone too, that will be satisfying.:)

Those ribbed roofs are so cool looking.:thumbup:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
I can tell now looking at the pics that its being held too flat in the middle. Gotta take my own advice on this one and hold the panel against the roof hole from the inside. I had partly set up a way to push the roof sides up to meet the panel but wanted as much of it loosely together as possible by quitting time. Pay week ends here, see? I really need the panel inside the car and to reshape the roof sides to make things begin to be right with the roof shape. In the end it should be a stout little igloo but this process will undoubtedly generate more mistakes. Like the one I made by not saying this isn't ready to work on yet awhile back.

321 - 340 of 2969 Posts