Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

341 - 360 of 2969 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
I would lock up the roof into a non twisty chunk.
Well, at least weld it. Then chop it off to dress the welds easier.
Heres what I am now thinking:

Remove doors and rear window panel.

Cut quarters above and behind side window.

Take 3" off the A pillar.

Move top rear quarter corners as needed, clampscrewtack lid back on, level.

Let everybody look. Real good.

Epic door saga, latches, rockers, cowl / door gaps, windshield bed, cowl sides patch and mod, firewall...

Then maybe come back to quarters and tail / trunk and THEN...

roof and the glorious parts. Then I may finally design and build a permanent inner body structure. Until then its whack n tack, no commitments. I hope to do my best stuff ever when icing the cake by metal finishing. But theres an ocean to wade through first without breaking the camel's back (customer wallet) so if I want to have time to make nice at that end, I gotta hop-to daily.

I was going to chop in today's final work hour but at five minutes until, boss says to us "Want to go at noon?". Insert Ricochet Rabbit sounds here. Bing bing bing, poof gone. We are having a shop meet n eat at some restaurant in a couple hours.

You'll be up to date here in a few.:cool:

Fresh punch on Friday night, have a snort while I compose.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Leveled chassis and body, all points ahead of axle and below roofline are in approximate positions and sides match. Cut doors open and of course they went ape again but no worries. Took off the tail reinf for now. Blocked up aprons where quarters sit. Tacked in upper and lower B post supports and tied those to an extension so it rests on the frame kickup. Put the upper support fixture back in. Tacking all things to old rocker remnants for now because I need the clues they provide. There are bolts at the four corners where the body mounts to the flat part of the frame. Pan can slip in at next convenient opportunity, no biggie. It is exactly the hairy mess it looks like but its my hairy mess and I am beginning to understand it better.

Help me remember to just CHOP, first thing next week. As said above, with doors and back window panel out. The shapes of all the metal up there is pure crap so theres nothing to stop me and I don't see a problem chopping the doors seperately. But I can't expect anyone to see past these chaotic scenes. I suspect you guys know what to expect. Boy those doors won't be no light sneeze, thats gonna be a real snot-slinger of a project if ever there was one.:pain::drunk: Bring tissue!:thumbup:

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,328 Posts
Good stuff!

Brian

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Slow but willing learner
5,155 Posts
He's kind of like Mr. Wilson. We may never see his whole face.......:mwink:

I like the amount of the chop Matt. It will look good and still be a pleasure to drive.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,918 Posts
Looks like a really fun project.
And you're getting paid to do it? Not a bad gig you got goin'.....

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
First leg of this hike had a lot of uphill stretches. Starting to look like my neighborhood now though. Thanks for stopping to visit.:cool:

Pugsy gets it. ;)

Attachments

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
He's kind of like Mr. Wilson. We may never see his whole face.......:mwink:

I like the amount of the chop Matt. It will look good and still be a pleasure to drive.

John
Hi-di-ho, John.:D Looks like once again, Mike was right (about chop height). That is one aspect of this project that I am glad I don't have to figure out.:)

·
Slow but willing learner
5,155 Posts
Hi-di-ho, John.:D Looks like once again, Mike was right (about chop height). That is one aspect of this project that I am glad I don't have to figure out.:)
Agreed. I assumed the customer specified the amount but in any case I think it is a good choice. As far as you know, has the customer left a lot of the decisions up to Mike?

John

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Agreed. I assumed the customer specified the amount but in any case I think it is a good choice. As far as you know, has the customer left a lot of the decisions up to Mike?

John
As far as I know, Mike advised the 2/3" and the customer didn't have any better ideas. The thing to keep in mind is that his best buddy just had a nightmare 68 Camaro sorted out here so the man knows what we're capable of. He knew he wanted this TCI chassis, the 302 with OD auto, the chop and hinges, etc. He was by this morning, right on time just after the last post snip. So I set up the pieces and visor in place and man did he dig the chop. We just treat them like they are ours.:)

Bulk of his visit was spent discussing ideas to throw at Murray Pfaff, the designer. A nod to military service will be in the theme, and some kind of olive or tan might even end up as body color but he figured gunmetal running boards. He wants help on the interior design too, so he is in good hands there. I tossed out Sergeant stripe tail lights made of 40 Fords, and gas tank enclosure being a footlocker or ammo crate. :mwink:

Anyhow, yep... tacking rear window panel now. Man this crap is rusty! (see blowhole, lol) You can see how the disassembled chop approach allows just trimming the windshield posts whereas traditionally they may be tilted in addition to chopped.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
From the looks of this, the chop fun will be over way too soon. The roof corner just drops straight down and matches exactly, even right next to the glass. So far, so good. Still too crooked for a pic from rear because I've only made second cut on right quarter. But the window hole seems OK. Clamp job and pics are kind crummy. The post closeup pic, you can reach in there and hold it exact with fingers. Steady as she goes.

Oh and the CarCraft with the 73 T/A build has hit some stores. And boss was waffling on the all Pontiac T shirts (with the 73 plus 65 GTO convertible) but I sent him the right pic and suddenly thats gonna happen. Wicked!:cool: They have an illustration done from pics for the shirts. I have been told "Nice shirt":rolleyes: by a kid in a store once so they must be cool.

Day's work:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Oh... I did some MIG shrinking around the rear window hole, and slapped 'er around a mite... but also I cut the sides off the rear window panel plus the old front flange. I also have a repair patch for the rear edge at the trunk but I ain't doing trunk stuff yet.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Tops of the roof side sections are all wacky-

Window also, in relation to the dash-

Edges are fitting up nicely over on the left side also-

I may just break here to imagine and fab a windshield bed that extends up to the visor. Also hatching thoughts about fabbing roof support bows since this is a five window.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,155 Posts
Do you think the roof support bows will help you gain the crown you need in the roof insert? I can see that being a challenge, especially since the ribs in it prevent working the panel.

I am not being critical at all. I promise. Just interested in the challenges of the build as well as the solutions.

John

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Do you think the roof support bows will help you gain the crown you need in the roof insert? I can see that being a challenge, especially since the ribs in it prevent working the panel.

I am not being critical at all. I promise. Just interested in the challenges of the build as well as the solutions.

John
Exactly that, John. In the interest of structural integrity as well. But yes mainly to tell the roof where to be and create a source of symmetry to work with.

I got the back window nice and level but had to go back to adjusting body height in a couple places. Endo the day... I need to take a sharpie mark or two off the bottom leg and back edge of the roof side section and that will line up that top front quarter of the side window opening and drip rail indention. That leaves just a slight mismatch at the front of the door. Door top gap is set last with the little overlapped strip.

How does the door window shape look? Too much rake? :confused: Or no?
I haven't had a good stare at it yet.

341 - 360 of 2969 Posts