Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

21 - 40 of 2969 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah black wheels are a hanging offense on the Grand Prix forum. But now don't get me started on Pontiac or Chevy Rally wheels. Or Gymkhana wheels. Which is worse, black wheels or body color wheels? I do like a bright center and rim with grey if its darkish. Like the Bullitt wheels on my GTP, those go with just about anything.

Pugsy I think you're right... can't put a finger on why but some bodies look best in certain hues. My thing is everything should have gobs of mica in it. I just can't imagine why everyone doesn't want pearl in everything.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Body color wheels win the C'mon Man for sure..... :drunk:

Reactions: John long

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Concur!

I heard Cat guy changed wheel choice so none of the renderings are correct. Black centers he was pretty keen on. Trouble is, until the body is all fitted, tubbed, and smoothed out in primer... you can't know where the have-to's end and the want-to's begin. Moneywise. So from next week forward, mod ideas, trim choices, colors and all that can be tossed about more freely.

Speaking of which, Pugsy I had a thought about a look for yours. I sense that you'd like pretty much traditional fare like seen at local street rod shows more so than Ridler contender wanna-be style... so I wondered how this might grab you and perhaps keep cost down. Now that you have a fully loaded luxury Camino.

Early sixties salt flats style.

You could even take it there some year and earn your "legit" merit badge, you have the hardware. If theres still salt by then. Imagine the Pugsy Special, caked with salt in a big pic for your work or play space. Misty mountains in the distance... a flattie car blurring past, etc. My mental picture is wicked to me but may be way off of your obviously refined taste. That chassis woulda been the shiz for salt runs. Hmm.

I better stop and mow.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Found some shiny on a sedan and may have stumbled onto how to do red. Still a mighty rough edit but that rod does have something goin on.:cool:

Oh yeah, I think I used the sedan roofline just scooted it forward. Wierd.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Found some shiny on a sedan and may have stumbled onto how to do red. Still a mighty rough edit but that rod does have something goin on.:cool:

Oh yeah, I think I used the sedan roofline just scooted it forward. Wierd.

Wow, now we're looking good. That's the look, just a basic rod that is crisp and clean looking.

I'm thinking of doing a bit (lot) of metal work on the doors to make one piece windows.

No stainless moldings around the glass. That side molding is looking interesting though.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow, now we're looking good. That's the look, just a basic rod that is crisp and clean looking.

I'm thinking of doing a bit (lot) of metal work on the doors to make one piece windows.

No stainless moldings around the glass. That side molding is looking interesting though.
Isn't the side molding like what it had? I just left it on from the sedan.

Overlaying yours on the sedan revealed how much you shortened the hood. Cool.

Can def ditch the window chrome and wings.

Study that roofline. It takes away some rear headroom because the coupe roof is more boxy at rear. I was just doing the easiest thing and slid the sedan roof rear forward to where the coupe roof starts, on the belt line. For me, it seems to take a lot of the stodgy uprightness away. Like the hood does. I dig the profile much more this way.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Isn't the side molding like what it had? I just left it on from the sedan.

Overlaying yours on the sedan revealed how much you shortened the hood. Cool.

Can def ditch the window chrome and wings.

Study that roofline. It takes away some rear headroom because the coupe roof is more boxy at rear. I was just doing the easiest thing and slid the sedan roof rear forward to where the coupe roof starts, on the belt line. For me, it seems to take a lot of the stodgy uprightness away. Like the hood does. I dig the profile much more this way.

Yes. The plan is to cut out the whole window frame and drop it as low as possible. Then, cut the roof to lay it down. Your head doesn't go anywhere near that boxy part.

Here's a pic chopped to that exactly. Great minds must think alike, ha.......

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Original plan was for no side moldings. All sold off already.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What I was eluding to is maybe theres a sedan roof out there you could splice with minimal seams. You're right, it needs something back there because stovepipe hats are out.

I made a pass through the skunkworks-

This is what I've got going on-

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The blue Model A is something I might get to do rust repair on.
The blue VW, I did not work on.
The green Bronco I did new cab floor and a bad nasty fix on the roof.
The green 52 Chevy, I did not work on.
The bare metal pics are behind the right rear wheel on my 59 Pontiac job.
The red Mustang convertible, I did not work on.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This day's work was alright. One side is as done as its gonna be until meats are mounted. This is pretty solid but mighty tough to take decently lit pics of. Hinge pocket is intact but support bracket got one side lopped off. Another panel will close off the trimmed area, just a flat plug welded piece with a flange on one end to meet the inner panel. That big one goes all the way up to the shelf and ties in with another layer plus the upright diagonal tube from the floor frame.

But yeah those are rust throughs at the top of the well where the roof rail connects. I'll cook something up but in the meantime theres a side left to go and all but the rear panel (3 outta 4 pieces) have been cut and roughly shaped. Can you tell I actually used the english wheel in a context approaching proper, on the rear panel? :mwink: Gave 'er a little lump. I'd like to get the driver's side looking like this tomorrow plus take the body off and try to finish whatever welding is left that I couldn't get to with the body mounted.:sweat:

My heads ringin and my feets hurt.:pain: But I am pleased with the work.:) If theres a question, shoot. Kind of a mouthful to explain it all but the pic shows things pretty good.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Oh, how I wish there was a vacation in between the old and new projects.:sweat:

The ability to just keep rocking is a test of my automotive passion. That being said, I'd rather wade through this Model A than bondo. This is the new scenery, guys. Might even qualify as a rod of some sort!:)

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Did not get an end of day pic but of course I fell short of the goal... still have to step edges and prep the rear panel. Wasn't for lack of hurrying though, I did do that every chance I got. The trunk floor corner piece is ready and both it and the rear panel are screwed in so I'm not off by far, and will continue on it tomorrow. This was at oh, 3:30. Inner wheelwell and rear lower extension are welded up.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Right on. Anyone have some experience with Model A's? Advice and explanations could be helpful here, I am a GM muscle enthusiast and green as grass about early Fords.

21 - 40 of 2969 Posts