Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

21 - 40 of 368 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Thanks for piping up guys. That was the last slide. John if you'll turn the lights back on, we'll all kill whats left of the punch and catch y'all on the flipside. Somebody wake Pugsy up. Drive safe. :)

I'm awake....just pondering how much pressure you're using to do your thing. You should almost be able to slide the panel around so you don't stretch it too much. Too much crown and you're screwed. You would then need to stretch the edges only to take out the access crown.

And no driving here....:(

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
No driving?:confused:

How much pressure? Well yes I am talking slides around loose but I am straightning. Theres air between the wheels but also dents. I tried hard to avoid additional stretching but some happens, of course. As far as I know, theres no way for me to quantify how much pressure I am using. Our cheapo unit sucks, it won't keep the anvil centered and the quick release lever just spins so it is virtually impossible to do nice stuff with. Not so much an excuse there as just a relevant fact. But its what I have. What are you seeing that causes you to wonder?

Have you read where I explained about removing flanges from window panel and quarters? I could stretch the areas in question horribly and it would only mean added excess material to trim away before the butt weld.

I'm seeing nothing. Just advising, seeing as you're a newb. :thumbup:

Actually, I just realized, I'm not seeing a mirror polished panel after your wheeling, so that's good. If it was mirror glossy, that would indicate a lot of squeeze. so, double... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
I'd say that first piece should end up in the scrap pile. This is standard procedure on a first low crown attempt.. There are highs and lows all over it. You got a shrinking disc? Maybe try taking down some of the highs to get it under control. If it's going to be a door skin, cut it down so it's about 2" bigger all around to help get control over it.

Or, just chuck it. :sweat:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Being on the clock is no way to learn. You should be practicing on your lunch and coffee breaks, ha....

This is what I did to learn welding when I was a wee bit younger....OK, a lotta bit younger.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Nice patch. Next time the bend is off, just "move" the bend with a dolly and hammer. Don't open it up and weld it.

Bends can always be moved over all the way down the panel. :thumbup: I like using the sharp end of a comma dolly.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
I would not mind watching a demonstration.:cool: Flatten, put dolly edge at new bend and hit at correct angle to start a bend, right? I had worked it with the vise a bit until I realized about flushing. Mainly because it takes an act of Congress to get one sharp bend on our brake. I thought about asking what steps to make the patch in but John had refreshed my memory somewhat and I ended up being able to wing it.
No, don't flatten. Just hold the pointy end of the comma dolly about where you want the bend and kinda "swipe" blow with your slight crown body hammer. Just put the metal where you want it without flattening.

Just try it next time, and it'll come to you instantly seeing as you pound metal around already.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Pugsy, you ought to drill and tether that damn thing with a chain or something so it can't hit the ground because we don't need another pic like David's last, ha ha. I'd have to start calling you both Krakatoa. Like the vocanic island of the same name... crack-a-toe-ah, get it?:D

I bet that steel chunk sees it's share of shaping action.:)

Ya, I spent a while on the mill carving that point out. Can't get a 90° bend from a 90° piece of block so the edge really helps.

Haven't used it too much, but it sure comes in handy. Oh yeah, hit towards the bench so she don't crack a to.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Do we need to see other options to help decide? (see previous post)

Also um... this pic is not altered....

In terms of weld length economy and thus frugality:

Chopping the back window 2" is cheapest

Moving the back window down 2" is next

Moving the window down or chopping it 1" would be high and hard.

Thoughts on what might look best? I vote move it 2" down.

I'd say same height as side glass, on the same plane as well?
You got a 3/4 rear shot?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
"Can't you just"...............start mounting things up and when the blocks arrive, toss em in the trash where they belong?

Isn't this thing gonna be a hot rod?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
What you're asking is can't you just figure out what all their heights were by experimentation. I did say "I need to at least reference" them.

No, it will have fenders and that makes it a street rod.

Will you be using the wood mounts or rubber mounts?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Oh, heaven forbid, no! Of course that is all pure and blessed holy water, Occifer.:drunk: (psst- yours is in the hollow tree now let me go)

Just good natured jocularity there, fellows. I'd hate for you old boys to start making Arkansas references so I'll let that dog lie like a rug. :D

I'm fairly certain our metal slapper happy analyst from up north with the humpy headed 327 can nit pick my panel. :) So I'll just go bug huntin myself, here before dark.

How many ways, correct or not, are there to make that bend at the back? Anyone?:confused:

Slapper happy here.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. Like how I said that.....skin a cat?

Oh no, I'm starting to sound like Matt.

Panel looks fine except you need to "move" the bends at the end to flow better.

21 - 40 of 368 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.