Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

41 - 60 of 2969 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,912 Posts
Right on. Anyone have some experience with Model A's? Advice and explanations could be helpful here, I am a GM muscle enthusiast and green as grass about early Fords.

fiftyv8 seems to know about things A and T

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If I run across something specific I'll make an appropriately titled thread so it blips the rodder radar. Reckon my first question is are the doors supposed to fit within the door opening or over it.

Proof I lifted body off Pontiac below. There wasn't much welding left to do under there which is good because I finished what I set out to do. Put the body back down and stuck bolts in but ran out of time getting all the hardware back on. Works for me as a stopping point. The epoxy man is eager to get it going and it is ripe for that.:)

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
quote: Reckon my first question is are the doors supposed to fit within the door opening or over it.

the doors fit over the opening..........
Thank you sir. Are folks going with that or does anyone modify them to fit flush?

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,048 Posts
That would be a bit of a task to do as you would have to hack away. Mine are happy with just going over the opening. :cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Got it! Thanks you guys. It just shows to go ya what I know about As. The only one I've worked on is... well its worthy of me digging up some pics but it was "just" a mud job for me. It was a SEMA debutante several years ago but thats beside the point. Somebody did that deed and I mopped up the mess. You guys might freak on it, it is wild. Looks fiberglass. But I have never been shall we say intimate with an unaltered Model A body so I appreciate your feedback to dingaling type questions.

Certainly, I have a research topic for rainy days now. Looking at pics of them on the web. I suspect that my objective with the car will be to put the body back solid stock with lumps on hood sides and simple flat floor to adapt it to the chassis. And thats partly done.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
About five years ago, a local street rod shop brought us a built from leftovers Model A body that I'll call "unitized"... fenders welded to car. I helped the metal work all I could and did the mud deed on it. It was originally a five window. It was murder creating a flowing line around the perimeter of the top opening that looked valid from most angles. I'll see if I can dig up some pics from the 33 job also, that was just a couple years back.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
See how overlapping doors are still a new thing to me? They will be interesting. Does metal sit against metal around the edge or is there some rubber in between?

Sort of but not really relevant because of the design change, heres a small bunch of pics I put on a blog to show how I used available panels with easily fabbed pieces to repair and beautify the crusty rocker of a 33-

Old car body repair pic dump: 33 job

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Don't try these slipshod techniques at home now. This is no textbook.:nono::D

Oh, hey theres that left quarter lip thing again-

Well how about that? Knew I left my gum someplace.:rolleyes:

That english wheel unscrew a ways? Good, let me try this-

Voila!:cool:

Well... yeah, y'know... um had to cut it but yeah look-

The less than glamorous fab glam shot-

All wire brushed, cleaned and bombed. Ready to go-

That, folks... was good to be done with. Oh, how good.

An interesting new toy relevant to this monster project arrived so hang loose I got one more. Maybe you spotted it already.

Welp... sorry if it reeks in here but I feel much better. Regularity is golden. In bodywork posts, I reckon.:)

The Tin Indian is going to be Killer,,Nice Work..:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,912 Posts
Firelight is the name of the effect I can get red with, sort of.:) Improvements-

Thanks.

It's working Matt. I'm going great guns to get the house done now.....

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hey don't blame me for your fits of self motivation, it was just rainy yesterday.:D Thats as far as I wanted to go with 123Yorky so you're off the hook now. Red one has roof line like in that chopped edit you already had. Count your blessings and enjoy all your projects in due time.:)

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,912 Posts
Too much chop does not look good on this car....or does it...hmm.....

The dark green is really growing on me.

Attachments

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Uh-oh, the color took root! Its just what was on my web grab but I do know of a good green. Boy that red looks like poo. Crayons might be more realistic.

I like the green's roof too, and it is stock height just using the four door sedan angle laid down slightly.

The side molding, window trim and shaved gas cap and lock cylinder, and bumpers would all be choices to define the look but if you ditch everything it starts looking like a wooden toy. In that red side view anyway.

I could see what other colors the green will turn to with the hue slider. The red had to be on top so we lost detail.

Is the thing at the rocker going to be bright trim or a running board, do ya know?

My input is this- no chop, fix roof hump only. Chop labor may not buy enough looks improvement because its a nice look already. Think about it- how many chopped 40 Fords do you see? Mmm-hmm, came with a good roof line. No chop means you could keep the classy window chrome, or part of it, if you want. Keeping chrome side trim would look good with that and if you find that you need to make some bumpers...

OK OK stop stop stopping... but yeah... I paint or toss everything excess when I do one, but the euro look ain't working on the York peppermint patty. We should try it with trim choices and skimpy bumpers in different colors and could play with the chop amount and stuff. Points to ponder.:) Still raining.

Yesterday I tried a Vista Cruiser lid on my GP to see if there was a funeral coach there but upchucked a little before I could delete. Nope! I have not liked any photo edit mods that I've tried for my car.:confused: I do need to see how a Buick GSX front spoiler would be on it.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Too much chop does not look good on this car....or does it...hmm.....

The dark green is really growing on me.

Well, crap I did make a very slightly chopped green one that I posted along with an unchopped. They looked same. Red chopped one lays right over your old edit and may be a bit much depending if your going for that slam look or not with it.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,912 Posts
Not going for the sled slam look. Just a cool look, be it chopped or not.
Lay down the back window is a for sure mod since day one.

I may chop an inch, inch and a half.

No stainless trim. All sold off.

Still considering running boards or not.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,325 Posts
I hadn't seen this thread for some reason, just scrolled through. Very cool stuff! Awesome work, keep it up!

Brian

41 - 60 of 2969 Posts