Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

41 - 60 of 368 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Ahw, Come on now. We are the reason you get by without a television. :mwink:

Question. I would have thought by doing a slant chop your verticle jams and pillers would have leaned forward more. When I chopped the Merc! I had to cut at the radii of the windows to bring everything back straight.

Is this going to be an issue for you?

John

Uh-oh.........I had to go back to scrutinize. Couldn't see a door edge with a dog leg in it. Maybe hold a straight edge along the door edges. There should be a zig at the back and a zag at the front.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Looks like you've checked it all. Should have known better, the way you check everything crosswise and back. :thumbup:

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Y'all sound like kids who stamp their feet and hold their breath when your folks say lets go to goodwill and get you some school clothes...................

we're not 85 yet....I believe men finally get mature about that age....:D

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Looks too flat against the door line behind it.
I'm no expert on these cars by a long shot but appears like no crown.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Actually looks to dip in center,,but my eyes could be deceiving me,
but if you look at the door seam there is less showing in the center so it has to be higher than the sides...
:cool:

Yep, hard to tell from photos.

It will be dead on by the time Matt is done though.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
The driver side rear view pic makes me nervous. It looks as though that is a flat sheet with beads in it.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Sorry if you take offense.

Just trying to point out issues before you weld. If the panel is not crowned and holding it's own shape before welding, you may end up with some major oil canning after welding.

I'll just hang out and watch now.

Jellybean AutoCrafters - 1928 Ford Roof Insert Fabrication

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
If I tell you a hen dips snuff, check under it's wing for the box. The wrecks and injury a few years back trimmed my fuse to a nub about not being believed. The roofs always looked too flat to me but theres probably none in Canada.

Ya, not many cars around here in the tundra...ha....

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
That pic I saw from the rear drivers side had "bent" ribs which had me concerned. But after seeing your bent tube, I now know that the ribs were probably straight.

Ya, it's a flat panel they provided with beads in it.
The crown will be front to rear only. Flat left to right.

If it was a bead less panel, it would need a slight crown each direction.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
It was curled up like a potato chip. That lens distortion is the dangedest thing. Can't say I have had a scenario where its that pronounced though. I'll take the heat for the hubub and blame it on Samsung, you were just calling what you saw.

They do awful good art for these shirts, man. :cool: Hope I scratched out all the forum taboo info.:sweat:

Allow me....here's the whole pic.............

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
OK, we've had a laugh then.:)

Guys I'll ignore the thanks boycott, doesn't matter. I'll accept having the shop name posted, I've nothing to hide. Now I need something real important from (this means) you... and I expect friends to not dodge this question just like I don't dodge any here. Fair enough?

You see what I do. How much should I make? By the hour or year, you pick.

:confused: Got my ears on.

25 - 30 bucks an hour. Just a guess. I have no idea of auto shops at all and I really have no idea of rates in the States.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
I dont know any shops around here that pay strickly on an hourly rate,,most pay $15 per hour which seems low ,,BUT,,when you are assigned a job ticket say it pays10 hours and you finish in 3 hours ,which is Normal ,,but a few exeptions,so yoy made $150 for the 10 hour job you finished in 3 hrs so actually you made $50 per hour,,but if you drag around and it takes you all day you still make $150 but that is your last day unless there is a good reason

Typically $750 -$1000 per wk is normal,,but the cost of living here is LooooW compared to other areas

I like the job ticket method. Can make some good coin that way.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
several weeks Larry has had checks $1800 or better but he works and never if ever has any do overs,,but it is on late model collision work and insurance paying.

on restoration it dont normally pay as much because Normally cash customers wont pay as much ,everything dont always fit and you might have to alter a little but anything that takes to long pay is adjusted for the tech,

Sorry ,I wont tie it up any more.

Ya, I can see that. Restoration has a lot of hidden rustoration to deal with and no one's gonna make a time it takes/per job book for it.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
In case you missed the description... thats an unaltered door and B pillar but heavily altered roof. Raked in front, sloped in back but not chopped. All the action is above the drip rail. You're welcome and need only ask if you'd like to see a change. Just a pastime. Used my wheels to save frustration though. They look hokey but the resolution beat what pics I have of your wheels. I have front views too, so I can play with bumpers and grilles. The above edit fit the inclination. I really wanted to put some sort of Happy Slapper Metal Works sign on the door.:D

Ya, the height of the roof will need much scrutinization when chop time comes.

41 - 60 of 368 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.