Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

961 - 980 of 2969 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #962 ·
IDJ,,i need to ask you for your help ,,i dont normally buy front wheel drive vehicles,,but this looks interesting,,he wants to trade it for my S10 Drag Race truck,,if I trade I would have around $1500 in it,,you are the Pontiac man thought you might help.:rolleyes:

I cant buy it for $1500,,but if I trade that is what I would have in it.

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/bar/d/santa-rosa-beach-1998-pontiac-gtp/6821777085.html
It has appearance issues... clear peeling, elusive door molding missing is a big deal, not really worth painting, has wrong or crummy wheels, hood gap... thats just what I see in the one pic. Probably looks like weathered hell out back and has ricer tails and probably has been crashed and iffy fixed in front. And so on.

For me, trim level is big. The pace car thing has zero effect on value but since its one of those, its probably a heated 8 way leather, dual zone climate, sunroof, and HUD loaded GTP2 whereas a GTP1 could have cloth seats and no HUD or sunroof. Bose is a seperate option but boy it makes a difference! Tan interiors yuck, grey lasts long time.

Miles are low-ish for the age and I'd bet theres years of noble service left in it, hell I like it and I bet you'd get a hoot out of that rowdy little sucker. If that one is worth 1500 mine is 800 if that. Takes awhile to get the hang of driving one, they have a fairly explosive double downshift.

If you ain't making passes with the S-10, try it on for size. MUCH more comfortable.

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #963 ·
Oh, and while subtle year to year differences can be a pain, 98 is in the sweet spot pre-OnStar year range for modification. About the only thing a 98 has against it is crummy stock airbox and thats gone. Its got a throttle cable and cable driven cruise control and security can be pretty much turned off, stuff like that. 98 might notn have the seatbelt "coupe loops" on the headrest but they can be nabbed from a later year. You'd probably want those, I gotta have them.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It has appearance issues... clear peeling, elusive door molding missing is a big deal, not really worth painting, has wrong or crummy wheels, hood gap... thats just what I see in the one pic. Probably looks like weathered hell out back and has ricer tails and probably has been crashed and iffy fixed in front. And so on.

For me, trim level is big. The pace car thing has zero effect on value but since its one of those, its probably a heated 8 way leather, dual zone climate, sunroof, and HUD loaded GTP2 whereas a GTP1 could have cloth seats and no HUD or sunroof. Bose is a seperate option but boy it makes a difference! Tan interiors yuck, grey lasts long time.

Miles are low-ish for the age and I'd bet theres years of noble service left in it, hell I like it and I bet you'd get a hoot out of that rowdy little sucker. If that one is worth 1500 mine is 800 if that. Takes awhile to get the hang of driving one, they have a fairly explosive double downshift.

If you ain't making passes with the S-10, try it on for size. MUCH more comfortable.
I am not running the S10 it has a 10 point cage and after the wreck ,I can get in it alright ,,but VERY hard to get out,,for saftey sake I will Not drive it anymore if something happendi would be up yhe creek...

That being said I have not seen it in person he is in Florida but willing to bring it to me if we work out a trade,,, Thanks for your help.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #965 ·
Whatever puts the maximum joy into your toy box, David.:thumbup::cool:

Guys I am working toward finding an amicable solution for some of the bodywork around the Model A's engine and thought it might be wise to study just a little first. Found and want to place this juicy swap article link here so if you're interested you can scope it out. I do not know which version / power level yet though, and it looks to be a 6R type trans. Thats a 32 valve variable cam timed 302 with six speed automatic in IDJ-speak.:pimp:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/coy...-independent-variable-camshaft-timing-engine/

There may be sketches or edits later, for your critique, if I hit on something potentially valid. Its a fun automotive but indoor pastime.:)

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #966 ·
I have an edit thats starting to go places... but

I had a youtube playlist going for an hour or two and this one came on. I had never seen the video for it but since I was deep in Model A thought the video caught my eye and whoa nellie, back up... you gotta see this if you haven't. I definitely want this video here on my thread, its baaad, man.:cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #967 ·
This roughly illustrates my hood side idea, and while the artwork isn't pretty it should be sufficiently accurate. Exactly how it should look from the top or a few steps closer would be awful tough to render but imagine a bead around the opening in the fender for over the rail exhaust. The rear pipe should go about where the apron stops and the bottom cowl bead rolls in around the body mount ear. The lower side panel next to the grille could stay or go, and the bead would go all the way to the front without that. Wha'dya think?:sweat:

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,438 Posts
The lower bead being shorter than the top looks out of place, to me. I'm into continuity and the lower bead being full length would seem to look better... of course a rendering would prove that true or false.
The short lower panel helps the flow into the grille and I don't think it needs a bead to look good below the full bead of the hood side. Probably want a short, 180° wrap on the raw edge for strength and prevent flexing.
I'm not one for louvers, BUT, the side panel looks a little plain and some louvers in that could liven it up and give it that hot rod image...;)

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #969 ·
Thanks for the input. Louvered-side hoods like it has now have a bead between the one at the top of the side and the louver area. I considered keeping that but it seemed like too many beads stacked near each other. But thats with a bead at the bottom edge too. A row of like 3 inchers above the opening and rolled bottom edge would work for me but our hero ain't much into louvers either. The front side panel pieces could obscure the accessories and maybe help keep bugs off the engine.

I figure Mike will have final say on the hood. He wants horizontal teardrop bulges on otherwise featureless hood sides. Customer and boss like the valve cover showing. I would like it fine with no hood sides but that would look like a breezeway over the flat topped engine.

I truly don't give a hoot what is done with the hood, its the cowl solutions I am looking to pin down. With the degree of indecision thats present, I have gone about as far as I should in finishing the cowl. But I have answered some of my own questions in doing that image, about how exhaust can be. Mike wants it left where he can run it inside the frame or outside and I think the picture shows an idea that would work if outside is chosen.

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #971 ·
Well, that effort was about as useful as nipples on a boar hog. :drunk:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,386 Posts
Well, that effort was about as useful as nipples on a boar hog. :drunk:

What do have against nipples? I got some....

Louvers there seem like they are not needed with all the air gap already, making them "wrong", however they seem to look good there. Funny thing is, I'm anti louver on anything.

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
This roughly illustrates my hood side idea, and while the artwork isn't pretty it should be sufficiently accurate. Exactly how it should look from the top or a few steps closer would be awful tough to render but imagine a bead around the opening in the fender for over the rail exhaust. The rear pipe should go about where the apron stops and the bottom cowl bead rolls in around the body mount ear. The lower side panel next to the grille could stay or go, and the bead would go all the way to the front without that. Wha'dya think?:sweat:

I had to Zoom in on the valve covers,,your messing with my mind,:D.
the exaust would look in stainless going thru the fenders with a oval shaped bezel amd am electric cut out exiting straight out the side while exaust goes under fender out of sight.

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #977 ·
I had to Zoom in on the valve covers,,your messing with my mind,:D.
If I accomplish nothing but that today, I 'm good. :thumbup: Firewall was in the way on the pic I was using and I was too lazy to dig for another.

Hotdamn !! that looks cavernous. He should be able to put some rubber under that !
Guys that throw down large like this want mega dish and steamrollers. Theres room for 16" width and the owner was willing to widen.

Louvers did win the popularity contest with both Footlooses but they are traditional. Boss wanted the edits to send to the guy. And through all that and two forums and asking direct face to face, I could not get a solitary sentence from a soul about the bead over the opening and front side panel, or the cowl bottom corner. Everyone just stares and its like tumblweeds in the headlights. But it matters not. :rolleyes:

One guy did suggest one long louver, Footloose said put beads like on the firewall (or ponys if using Pony interior. Maybe he meant the horse emblem. I want to see how it would look with coyote in embossed letters like on fox mustang rear bumpers. There and / or on the spare tire mount panel. Or in laser cut stencil lettering on the hood sides, smaller. A stylized Coyote head pistriped on the trunk would make sense to me. Mike brought me a white smooth hood top plus boss said OK when I said we need a radiator to do any front end stuff.

Pugsy... A shirt, but I ain't no hog.:drunk: Even though this area is the home of the Razorbacks.

That ain't Canadian bacon. ;)

By the way, I had this post ready with pics two hours ago but since I am a human, my fingers can't work soft keys and bam... gone. Pics shortly.

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #978 ·
I cut the tail panel reinforcement tacks, took it out and was clamping the skin to the quarters with no spare tire panel up there and the clamps happened to be just the right size to go against the floor rails and hold it centered. So at the last minute I sat the trunk lid on, roughly in position. To see about that right quarter. Remember it? Really not too scary looking now but it is rough.

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #979 ·
Well, I'll be. The hog pic went away. I must have been trying to "advertise". I'll try a real one from Wikipedia.:rolleyes:

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #980 ·
napkin sketch of shower thought

In Texas you can shoot feral hogs but you better have a semiautomatic or big revolver. I had to spew this idea before I crash out-

961 - 980 of 2969 Posts