Hot Rod Forum banner

How often would you like this thread to be updated?

• Daily

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• No change needed

• Other (please specify)

81 - 100 of 2969 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Dadburnit, thanx button not working tonite.

John, let me ask you (and Pugs) this:

I am thinking of making the whole side of the car basically, from the body line down and from over the axle to the hood... in one piece. Shaping it that way then slicing and flanging the sections to make cowl, door skin, and quarter patches that flow well. All at once, avoiding the fuss of contouring edges of seperately made patches to match perfectly. I doubt that the lengthwise contour difference where I cut for panel gaps and fold them over would be significant. But I will need a good hand to help wheel the "uniside".

Thoughts? Anyone?
Could it be done? i think it could but you will need someone to help you that is pretty savey. Your helper will need to keep the corners from drooping as well as help you track the metal through the wheel.

As your panel gets bigger the more difficult it gets. Also, the less crown in the panel, the more difficult it gets. It would be easy to mess up a pretty big piece of sheet metal doing it that way.

Boy I sure am glad its not one of those! I actually said that today... glad its not a 49 Merc. This, aside from being five window, is like the easiest chop there is. And the jobs before it were good prep for all this, plus the magnitude of the tasks have escalated kinda gently like a ramp. A kinda steep one, but man this is the kind of jobs that bring more jobs so I try to step with it. Don't stray far from the punch bowl, John... I may need you guys. If not for metal shaping support, for distracting fellowship and reality based logic that makes light of it all. Because this job is a heavy mutha. By anyone's standards, no denying it. If I do all this, I will have done something!:)
You keep filling the punch bowl and we will keep hanging around! :D

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,926 Posts
Dadburnit, thanx button not working tonite.

John, let me ask you (and Pugs) this:

I am thinking of making the whole side of the car basically, from the body line down and from over the axle to the hood... in one piece. Shaping it that way then slicing and flanging the sections to make cowl, door skin, and quarter patches that flow well. All at once, avoiding the fuss of contouring edges of seperately made patches to match perfectly. I doubt that the lengthwise contour difference where I cut for panel gaps and fold them over would be significant. But I will need a good hand to help wheel the "uniside".

Thoughts? Anyone?

Not following this. Can you show it on a photo?

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
John, Brian-
So... suicide doors are foolish is what I'm hearing. Are you two suggesting that front opening makes access more difficult? I have never sat in a T or A. They are tiny.

Hidden suicide hinges let you leave the door open like any car. They have detents which are adjustable unlike any car. I know because I instaled them on the red 33 coupe.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Oh Geeez, I didn't do the suicide doors on that VW, I chopped that one, but I guess it doesn't matter. LOLOL Chopped it in 8 hours, start to primer.

Brian
Sorry for the tiny little, microscopic high jack, I can't even pretend to get done what you are! Awesome stuff!

Brian
I ain't worried about no hijack. If you've read along you'll know that I didn't make the thread just for me. Thats just how its being.

I won't have the top chopped in 8 hours, this I know. Could I? Maybe but I doubt it. If anything I am slow, always have been. In crash shop days I never managed to turn more than maybe 10-20 hours more than I was there. All I did was sand paint off yesterday and didn't finish... and its tiny! So while I'll agree that the boss brings in an awesome string of interesting work, I won't agree to being faster than anyone. It takes a lot out of me.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Could it be done? i think it could but you will need someone to help you that is pretty savey. Your helper will need to keep the corners from drooping as well as help you track the metal through the wheel.

As your panel gets bigger the more difficult it gets. Also, the less crown in the panel, the more difficult it gets. It would be easy to mess up a pretty big piece of sheet metal doing it that way.

You keep filling the punch bowl and we will keep hanging around! :D

John
I believe I wil, its worth it:) Thanks for your input. Original Footloose and Slick qualify but it would be a challenge. Probably a 6 or 7 foot long piece. I figured if I can get the big shape in it, I could add the details after cutting the patches. And I figure starting out by mapping zones and number of passes with a Sharpie could be helpful. Door skins are available but I am trying to think big and amaze my friends!:D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I cant help but wonder if you build a watertrap on the bottom of the tank and mount the pump there will the pump not pick up the water and trash off the bottom,,and the gas we get around here seems to plenty of water at times.my fuel cell has a water trap 1x4x4 with a drain and pump mounts on the rear of the tank,, I guess just a preference..:confused::confused:

Attachments

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
David, that would be a Mike question. For all I know, he is putting it like you're saying. I was needing a word and grabbed sump and probably made it sound wrong. Half inch downward lump under the pump is how I understood the shape he described.

Y'all want to start a pool on what day Mitch will find this thread?:D

Feel free to mill about the punch bowl, I'll flip the lights a couple times before the next act begins. Gotta go live it first!;)

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
John, Brian-
So... suicide doors are foolish is what I'm hearing. Are you two suggesting that front opening makes access more difficult? I have never sat in a T or A. They are tiny.

Hidden suicide hinges let you leave the door open like any car. They have detents which are adjustable unlike any car. I know because I instaled them on the red 33 coupe.
WHOA THERE, you have a good point, function is a whole different issue! The suicide door is MUCH easier to get in and out of. So, someone with some health issues that restrict movement could benefit from them.

Brian

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I dont know if my post are showing up or noy,,mine is hung on page 15mmi can see on the left of my screen where some of you have posted ,,but cant see pictures or read post,,here we go again,,

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,926 Posts
I dont know if my post are showing up or noy,,mine is hung on page 15mmi can see on the left of my screen where some of you have posted ,,but cant see pictures or read post,,here we go again,,

Settings on your antivirus?

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Reboot?:smash:

I been focused on this area so far today, cleaning it up and scrubbing rust to see how much I can save. Looks about ready to clean up the inside a little and do some straightening now. Going to be a great deal of work but I believe I can keep this spot usable. Theres a lot of widespread light pitting on the quarter and I have been going at it with a slow cup brush and some acid plus various abrasives. The old weld looks like coat hanger, don't it?

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Since I know what that looks like now, I thought it best to keep knocking off paint and mud this afternoon.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
On the big panel thing, what I am contemplating today (leaving the cowl out of it now) is...

fabricating one rectangular panel that follows the major contour of door and quarter, with it's top left corner at the middle door hinge. The vertical back edge would be at about where the axle sits, with the top right corner up against the lengthwise contour of the body where the door handle is.

Depending on how froggy I feel, a half inch flange of original door skin coud vlbe left below that body line for a flanged seam or it could be butt welded along the bottom of the line. If still sufficiently frogesque, I might attempt stepping the bottom contour into my big piece. The raised Model A edge part, y'know.

Either do that then, or after I have cut the big piece in two, one as a lower door skin, one as a big quarter patch. With that done, I could bend edges on the door skin one.

But if I want a proper crown in each panel, I'll need to wheel them seperately. I was thinking of making the edges match up easier is all. Like I said, contemplating the theory.

In other news, the Catalina doors stil fit nice with all body mounts tight. :thumbup: Thats an exhale. Slick lopped off the excess frame horn kength and got the core support down. One of the fenders was apparently salvage (different color behind) and the left one needs a bit of fitting, probably shims, down at the rocker. Hood fitting should be next.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,926 Posts

You're gonna be in a world of hurt trying to make such a big panel.

Just do individual pieces as you'll soon find out how difficult a low crown panel is to produce.

Or not... I'll just hang out and watch.

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Alright, point taken. I don't know any better due to lack of experience. Is it so much so that I should confine my patch to the bottom six inches and rely on straightening and blasting to save the rest?

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
The sheet of 16 gauge on my bench top that has become a low crown panel indicates to me that the english wheel is not the only way to produce such a panel.

81 - 100 of 2969 Posts