Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appologies if this has been covered, but i can't find anything on it.

Here goes,

I would like to know how to form a right angle lip on a curved section of steel. Similar to what you would find on the inside of the wheel arch.

I know this can be performed with a shrinker but as i don't have access to one i am after another method.

Thanks in advance
Richard

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a patch pannel for the lower rear quater pannel, the bottom of the wheel arch. It is visable at all times so i would prefer it to match the original lip

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: 62slantsix ]</p>

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey man i do a lot of panel work like that what i normally do is go to a sheetmetal normally a guttering mob they r a lot cheaper and do the right angle first then get it arched they should be able to doit even a normal sheet metal worker should be able to good luck :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The easiest way for you to do this is to make a wodden buck out od hard wood like maple or oak. make it as close to possible to the peice you want to form and hammer form the peice. The harder the hammer you will stretch the metal, the softer the hammer you will not. A shrinking hammer can be used if need be, but I don't think it will be. Slowly curve the sheetmetal around the wood, not fast, itts not instand gratification. Make the curve of the wheel well first then curve the 90 degree side angle. Use a hard ball peen hammer to stretch the metal to form to the curve on the outside. Using a brown paper bag and a pair of scissors over the hammer form will tell you how much the outside metal will have to be stretched and where.

HK

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'll give the wooden buck idea a go and let you know the results in a week or so.

Thanks again
Richard

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you like to weld a lot, you can also cut a strip of metal and cut slits in it halfway, bend your 90 and then your curve- slits allowing it to bend into dogleg. Then weld all those slits. Saves on getting a body shop or tools, but it is a lot of welding and grinding. I personally would use a shrinker/stretcher or use the hammerform as HK suggested. (just giving you another method to ponder)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts