Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to rebuild a 4l60 anyway? I know everything about my chevy, and how to fix it other than my transmission. I can even copy fenders out of fiberglass and graphite, but I dont know how to rebuild a transmission. That is the one thing I really want to know, and I want to do it right. I usually learn how to do things from my elders, but since I moved I dont really know anyone who does that sort of thing. What kinds of tools does it take, and how hard is it to do properly. Also If this sounds hopeless I found a 4l60 at Monster Motersports for $1250 (does this sound a little to good to be true)?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
If you insist on rebuilding an automatic trans. First get all the books you can on specific trans as well as theory and basic trans operation. READ everything. Overdrive trannys are not for the average wrench turner!!

I personally started with a Powerglide and a Dynaflow. Then got into 350-400 Turbos and so on. After many years and trannys I still dislike the 700R4's. Too many design problems. They finally got it together with the 4L60.

Measure your input and output shaft end plays, then, disassemble the trans and keep everything in order. MEASURE everything.

Look for obvious problems and check potential problems described, from the books you have studied.

Assemble carefully and clean. Check all end play specs and clutch stacks. Air check all clutch packs.

Yes,, you will need some special tools.. Most of mine have been gathered over the years or are home made copies of the marketed units. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts