Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take it easy on me im new and really hate computers

I have an el camino and just put a new (reman.)327 in. it has 9.5:1 compression, torkerII intake, 750 edel. carb (to big?) somewhat mild cam, super comp. hooker headers, turb. 350 tranny, 10 bolt rear end and 24.5 inch tires.

I NEED MORE GRUNT

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

The intake and carb are all WRONG IMHO....

A Performer intake and a 600 CFM will do wonders for the El Camino........also a gear change.....in the 3.42 range.......

Deuce......

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

A Turbo 350 is just great.........

I would change the rear end ratio........find a complete rear end....it's easier ...

What year El Camino do you have??

Monte Carlos are the same platform 78 to 87 ........

I had a 79 SS El Camino and got a 86 Monte Carlo SS 3.42 rear for it......helped a bunch......but my original ratio was 2.40 or so :(

The rear end ratio..........is how many times the engine turns over in relation to the wheels turning.

A 3.42 gear means the engine turns 3.42 times to turn the wheel once. .........and works better for GRUNT because the engine makes more power in the upper RPM range than the lower ones...

A smaller carb will make more low end power than the 750 you have.........and the Performer is designed for lower RPMs too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you

i have a 65 el camino it came with a 6 cylinder so dont know what the rear end is in relation to ratio with motor.
the manifold i have is a performer rpm series and it works good for my hood clearence you think go to just performer is better

Could i go witha 12 Bolt would it work better

or look for a spusific rear end

bigger tires ?

smaller tires ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
A 12 bolt is better in realation to handeling power but for your motor it would cost more then it would for a 10 bolt with a different ring gear size, not to mention a little bit of overkill.

What you should look into should be a 10 bolt, same mounting locations, posi, with a 8.2 or 8.5 inch ring gear, do NOT get a 7.625 or 7.5 inch rear end. Yes the smaller the cheaper but the smaller the greater chance of breaking it.

Look for something within the gear ratio or 2.91 to 3.23 but remember it will most likely throw your spedomiter off a bit.

A 600 CFM carb would be more then enough for that motor of yours, overkill is not always good (trust me I was running 750 cfms of air to my little 318, big mistake). Just go with an edelbrock performer and not the RPM series unless you want to revolve the motor really high.

And would you please tell us which intake manifold you have? In the first you say torquerII and then in another it is the Performer RPM? Which one?

Good luck,
Eric

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx for your input eric.

I read in P.A.W. that edelbrock sais the torkerII is in the same packeg (cam heads carb) as the rpm.

I got the manifold with the car a long time ago and have had it since. At first I wanted to base the motor around it (cam heads and carb) but now not so sure. Now I got a manifold that does better at higher rpm and a carb thats drownding it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
no problem been there with my old 1978 El Camino that I sold powered by a monsterous blown 472 ci small block, shattered every 10 and 12 bolt i put in but never broke the Dana 60 that it eventually got.

Good luck again,
Eric.:thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Either jack the car up or put it on a lift and find out what gear ratio you currently have, before you try to decide what to change to. Chances are with a 6 cyl car it may already have a somewhat higher gear to begin with. I would start by getting the engine to run as well as possible first, then go from there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll back up my post on 2.91 - 3.23.

The lower your ratio number (2.91 example) you will not get off the line so fast but you will have a greater max speed, this also yields better gas mileage.

The higher the ratio number (3.23 example) you will get off the line faster but you will lose max speed, yields worse gas mileage.

I went from a 2.41 to a 3.23 in my Elky and it was way better, would wind up at about 130 MPH though compared to the ''stock'' about 140MPH.

My old dodge went from a 3.54 to a 7.17. Went from being about to wrap about 100 to being wide open, probably about 1/2 an rpm within explosion and I can't break 50 mph if my life depended on it, works great for the mud though...

Just make sure it isn't to high 4.10 is pushing it in a daily driver in my opinion, and make sure it isn't the same as the one you have. Always be sure its posi, opens are no fun. :)

Good luck on your choice,
Eric

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
As was said, dump the 750 and Torker 2. Both are killing your low end.

If GRUNT is what you are looking for, you want off idle power. Match your engine components to the rest of your car.

If you want more of a seat of the pants, wide eyed, type of launch, you aren't going to be happy with 3.23 gears. The el camino is never going to see 120+ MPH especially with that 327. You'll be pushing its limits and even with the gearings, it might not have enough power to overcome wind resistance. Do you really want a vehicle built for speeds it will maybe see once in its life (and maybe once in yours if your not careful).

I would say 3.52-3.73 is where you want to be. However this really depends on what you want out of the car. Highway cruiser? Daily driver? Weekend warrior? Any gas mileage restraints? Think about that type of stuff. I have 4.10 gears in my truck. As a daily around town cruiser its awesome. Highways leave something to be desired but I am on them rarely enough that the occasional hour trips are managable.

And DO NOT FORGET about torque converters. They are always looked over and are a VERY important part in your cars performance.

3.23 type gears do not nessesarly yield more gas mileage. Its dependent on the engine and driver as well. You are getting less torque to the wheels, so you might be more inclined to give it more gas from stoplight to stoplight to makeup for this. With my engine and gears, while cruising for the most part I am feathering my pedel.

Check your gears now, think about what you REALLY want out of this car, and get back to us :).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
---

Thanx again for everyones input.

The only codes i could find were 9863495N passenger side and G.M13 on driver.

I know that its not a stock # because I have a danchuck catelog that has all my codes in it. However its a 10 bolt with the funny groove on the cover so I think its a 8.2 inch.

Passenger side has nipple in the hole of the nine that kind of covers it up.

So.......

What the f#@k is it?

ratio?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
---

Thanx again for everyones input.

The only codes i could find were 9863495N passenger side and G.M13 on driver.

I know that its not a stock # because I have a danchuck catelog that has all my codes in it. However its a 10 bolt with the funny groove on the cover so I think its a 8.2 inch.

Passenger side has nipple in the hole of the nine that kind of covers it up.

So.....

What the f#@k is it?

Thanx siggy.

To answer your question,I want to break some necks out of the hole.

And your right, a little over a hundred and my car wants to start flying.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.