Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,082 Posts
I run a set of Morel tie bar hydraulic roller lifters in my Dart SHP small chevy block, and I paid like almost $900 bucks for mine several years back and mine has the .750 wheel size on them and I can say that my lifters are very noisy and for my studs which are 7/16 size and with the threads and stuff and according to my instructions it said to go about 3/4 to 1 full turn. I set mine at 3/4 of a turn and when you first start it up it makes a lot of racket and some more so then others but after it warms up its not as bad but I don't care about the noise as long as I know they are working right and there are no problems then I am fine with mine. I think its been three years now and have been pleased with them.

· Registered
5,082 Posts
Other factors that can play into valve train noise is what style of camshaft your using and also how fast the ramp rate is. I have used the GM oem hydraulic roller lifters with the spider tray and I still have the sound of it being like a sewing machine and some slight clatter while running but would quiet down after warmed up.

I run 10w40 oil in my builds and the only engine I had that was quiet was a stock vortec 350 and that was it. Everything I have had with the aftermarket stuff regardless of brand of lifters used, with a fast ramp camshaft like the lunati voodoo or my custom grinds I have gotten from Mike Jones camshafts, they have along with my full roller rocker arms and aluminum valve covers have always made noise and everything was fine and no stud flexing issues.

You can do a search history and you will hear of folks complaining about using the comp xtreme energy cams and how they make a lot of noise and stuff. The faster ramp rates will make things clatter and with full roller rocker arms it just adds to it. I have even heard a few stock GM small block builds with the oem roller setup make a tiny bit of noise but nothing like the aftermarket stuff does for setup wise. It varies to one person to another if it is considered to loud or not much at all. For me its not that much and when I am cruising I can't even hear it then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.