Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to take classes at the local community college next semester, and sometime buy a welder. My question for you is do you have to use gas to use mig wire? From what I've read about flux it seems to be better to avoid it??

Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,426 Posts
On a mig welder with gas, the gas is used as the flux. You can get "fluxcore" wire, which replaces the gas, but they say that the quality of the welds goes down. Most experts recommend the gas.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
You can rent a tank for around $6.00/mo. and around $25 to fill. That is for a med. size tank around 4' tall. That will last for quite awhile. To buy the same tank will cost me $169.

Kevin

·
Registered
169 Posts
I pay $50 to fill a 4' high tank and I own it (don't remember what it cost). It's so easy to weld. I usually use autoweld gas, but I have used steelmix, and argon. Any of these gasses make a first time welder an almost expert. It's like spreading on butter. See if you can try out someone's welder and see what I mean. Flux core is a joke compared to gas.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Pretty much, what you will be looking for is a welding Supply company. That's where welding shops to get their stuff. A trip into the Yellow Pages should fix you up with a local one.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Flux is about = to 6011 rod welding, easy but a lot of splatter so clean up is a *****. I use it for a lot of projects that do not require a good looking weld.
An 80cu/ft I think?? about the size of a sucba tank is 6 per month and 14 for a fill around here.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used a 110V MIG with flux core this weekend. It's junk. I was putting a stitch on a spring perch to an axle. I had to crank the voltage and do multiple passes to get any kind of penetration, which was non existant. The weld was porous and spattered way more than any 6011 I ever used. Actually, I probably would have been better off using a 6011 stick.

I know that with my MIG and gas I would have put a sharp, deep, and very strong weld in the same situation. I guess that's why they call it Metal Inert Gas welding, the Gas part is key.

·
Registered
495 Posts
OK the 6011 will weld on rust and the flux core will not. But If you don't try and weld to thick a material for your machine it works fine. I never have voids or a lack of penetration but I do use it a lot so I am more used to it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The area was ground clean so the rust part is out. I don't know what type of flux core wire I was using because it was a buddy's machine (and truck). I just followed the welder manufacturers suggested settings for that thickness of steel (which recommended multiple passes). I don't weld everyday anymore, but I studied weld theory (GMAW, GTAW, spot, friction, etc.), have a few welding machines, and have done it for a few years. You're right though, you can't learn how to weld from a book, experience and practice is what makes a welder. Apparently I'm not so proficient with flux core on a MIG. All I'm trying to say is compared to gas fluxed MIG, fluxcore is a waste of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts