Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A '72 Pontiac Lemans SS Luxery.

We haven't checked the engine block number yet, but it's my friend's car and he lives 40+mins away so I can't just check it now.

So I was wondering, what the most likely engine will be in this car. It's a V8, my dad thinks it's a 383, but wasn't sure..

Does anybody know what's in this, without looking at the block #?

·
Registered
384 Posts
For one, a 383 is a Mopar engine. Not happening unless someone put it in there. I would bet it is a 350 Poncho.
Number two, as stated above, i don't think Pontiac's had a SS. They did have a "Sport" edition in the LeMans.

·
Registered
384 Posts
stepside454 said:
GPEAK, 383 Chevys have become so common anymore that some people seem to think its a production engine

LOL. True, but i figured since you can't look at it and say it's a chevy "383", that he meant a production 383 whick is a Mopar.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pontiac had a 389, but they quit putting those in the GTO's, in 66. The 67 GTO had a 400. The Lemans never had a 389, otherwise it would have been a GTO. I'm with the rest of the guys here, and vote for it being a 350. A 400 would be the only other thing it could have been from the factory, but not likely.
Tom

·
Registered
453 Posts
If it's the American version it'll have the 350 Pontiac. If your friend wants to do an engine swap in the future all he has to do is drop in a 455 Pontiac (as everything will bolt up) tell everyone he has a 350 and kick butt.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I was just out at his house and it's verified that it's a BB. Because his cousin was out with a new waterpump for a SB and it wouldn't bolt onto his engine, which would suggest it's a BB.

I looked in my dad's Chilton auto book and it's either a 350, 400, or a 455.

And since that water pump thing, we think it's at least a BB 400..

Also tried to get the block #, but all we could make out was a 3 and a 9 next to each other.

Edit - Oh and back when it was running and his grandma was driving it, she got 17MPG out of it.

He's also saying that his car and mine at stock, his would kick mine's butt.. I have a '73 Chevelle Malibu 4-DR w/ a 350 innit. But it's no longer stock, just sitting in front of the house with 2 scored cylinder's :(

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pontiac didn't have a big block or small block as all the block demensions are the same on every engine from the 326 all the way up to the 455. The only differences on the Pontiac other than different bores is the 326,350,389, and 400 all have 3 inch mains and the 421,428, and 455 all have 3.25 inch mains. Pontiac engines are long stroke high torque engines, one reason the 350 Pontiac would get a 350 Chevy. As far engine identification you can look at the front of the block on the drivers side right between the fuel pump and motor mount for engine designation and the front of the block in front of the passenger head will be a 2 letter code right after the serial number. Heads are identified by the code on the center exhaust ports.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Malibu73, just caught on that this was you! How is that 700 HP Malibu project coming along anyway? Did you figure out the horsepower yet? If one car has no water pump and the other has scored pistons, I would bet they would both run about the same speed ZERO MPH!!!

Get to wrenchin boy!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tommytempest said:
Hey Malibu73, just caught on that this was you! How is that 700 HP Malibu project coming along anyway? Did you figure out the horsepower yet? If one car has no water pump and the other has scored pistons, I would bet they would both run about the same speed ZERO MPH!!!

Get to wrenchin boy!!
Heeeyyyy old buddy old pal..

It's not 700HP by the way, it's 400 if we're lucky.. No I haven't figured the HP out yet, probably because I don't know anything about what's in the engine. I'm just gonna wait until we rebuild it, then I'm going to dyno it.

We're busy with other project at the moment. We have an 82 Nissan longbed in the garage with an '84 motor in it, so my dad has to clean that up and hide some of the hoses and such so the DEQ people won't beable to tell it's an '84 motor..

Then we have a '89 chevrolet Caprice classic wagon we have to pull the engine and transmission out of (plus any other miscellaneous (sp) parts out of it), after that we have another '83 buick skylark to pull body parts off of for my '83 skylark, then we have a van to put the engine back in, then we can get to the chevy :(

I'm hoping to get the chevy a little higher priority on the list so I can have it by summer (hopefully).

sorry for the OT.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a motorhead! Keep us posted on which motor the Pontiac has in it. I saw a Pontiac Lemans or Grand prix, cant remember which, at a car show once that was build for Canada, that had a Chevy 454 in it. The motor was Orange, and all FACTORY! If you get on one of the Pontiac forums, you can find some Pontiac Purists that will know more. BTW, I have a 65 Pontiac Tempest Convertible, and have found tons of info about it on the web. I was looking for a link but cant find it right now, but It seems like Perforance One or something like that has a good Pontiac forum. Keep wrenchin on those old cars and you will learn something new every time! Just try not to get disgusted, and you will eventually figure anything out. Another thing that always helps is to go to the "Pick your own parts" type junkyards and tear stuff apart there before you tackle your own. Also, if the local NAPA parts store doesn't stock something, then it probably isn't the problem! Most things that break on your standard production cars, are the same things that break on everyone elses car of that same model, so don't try to reinvent the wheel, just figure out what everyone else changed to fix whatever issue you are having.
Good luck Man!
Tom

Aha!
I found the link!
Try this, and see if you have any better luck with the Pontiac Engine ID
http://forums.performanceyears.com/6/ubb.x
Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.