Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any body used the 7.5 gm 3.90 gear or know someone who has? I just don't want to do a 9 swap and drop 3k. If they will pull 1.40 short times without breaking then problem solved. Thanks for any help.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
As you already know the 7.5 is just a weak rear end when compared to a 12 bolt or other larger rear ends. If you have a real light car and not putting a lot of torque through it then it might hold up. The gears are not the only weak part of that rear end. If you can you would be much better off upgrading to a larger rear end instead of putting money into that one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The gear can pull a 1.4 60 foot, but the rear end can't. Or if it does, it won't for long.

The gear itself is a fantastic piece. I've ran motives in all of my cars. Inexpensive and I've never had a problem with them.

Your 7.5" will last for awhile, provided you don't put sticky tires on it. One good hit on slicks though and it'll be lights out from what I've seen. Good luck!

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
There's people running those short times and even faster with the 7.5. You just need to be prepared to fix it when it breaks. And more than likely it will break sooner or later.

If your looking for a diff for reliability.... not the best choice.

I've built quite a few diff's for "class" cars running the 7.5 that leave with wheels up.. But they accept the risk and that they're on borrowed time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its in a 94FBird. It won't be at the track every weekend getting beat on! Just want a little more peace in the back of my mind whn I do hit the track! I understand and except the fact that its weak so maybe it won't give. up the ghost next go around.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
Its in a 94FBird. It won't be at the track every weekend getting beat on! Just want a little more peace in the back of my mind whn I do hit the track! I understand and except the fact that its weak so maybe it won't give. up the ghost next go around.
Just build it with good parts. You might install a cover/girdle for a rear cover.

From there... cross your fingers :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.