Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have another question about the break in of my motor. ABout 100 miles after the engine first fired I developed a tapping lifter on the passenger side of my motor. I thought it would be best to have it adjusted right away, but I called a buddy of mine that builds race engine to find out. He asked If I had a solid or Hydraulic cam, and I told him Hydraulic which it is. He told me that for Hydraulic lifter/cam setups, let the lifter tap until about 750 miles when the break-in period is over. After that adjust all the rocker arms again and everything should be fine. He told me that if It was a solid lifter cam that they would have to be adjusted immediately, but its fine for the hydraulics to tap until the breakin period is over. Does that seem right? I obviously don't want to do any permanent damage to the cam or anything. Should I let the lifter tap until he breakins over, or get them adjusted? As always any info is appreciated.

Rob

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
The cam and lifter should have already broken in. You may (hopefully) just have an adjuster nut that has backed off.

I always recheck mine after break-in, running, anyway.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
lifter

You need to adjust that lifter right away. There is no reason to wait....Unless you want to replace the cam and lifters????? Maybe you buddy wants the job????

With friends like that who needs enema's???

Keith

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,828 Posts
SOMETIMES....On spring pressures over 350 pounds the hydro lifters will collapse and reduce oil flow to the rocker balls. I here it often that waiting a good break in period will help save the valvetrain.

Just what I hear racers doing when hydro lifters rules apply. I haven't built anything with over 300 pounds and hydro lifters in a while though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.