Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to drop my 87 5.0 engine in my 60 Falcon but am not sure what I want to do as far as motor mounts. Originally I was just going to fab some solid mounts and be done with it. Now my grandpa is down from Ohio to help me out and he says I will need some type of factory style rubber mounts. I am looking for something cheap and fast (like everyone else...something for nothing). I have read to use 65 and later mounts but I am not sure what I will have to change as fare as frame mounts, etc. I would like to leave the rest of the car stock for now, apart from the engine and tranny im putting in. I know I should change front suspension, driveshaft, rear end and all that, but I just want to do some to and from work driving just to get back in it again. It isn't going to be some super hot rod, just a daily driver to and from. Im am open to suggestions so......

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Frame mounts from a 65-67(?) mustang or 63 and up Falcon, Not sure if Fairlane V8 mounts fit, but might. These should all be bolt in (they were on a 63 Falcon I built years ago).

You will also need a front sump oil pan and pcikup.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
yep. but if you can't find any, www.dearbornclassics.com has an intermediat mount that bolts to the factory 6cyl mount. you will need V8 Falcon/ Mustang spindles ( and tie rod adaptors if 'post '64 parts are used ) or '76-'78 Granada spindles/ brakes. the 6cyl spindals are too weak. the V8 front suspension just consists of diffrent springs, which are cheap. you may be able to get away with the 7 1/4" rear end but chances are, you'r gonna get on it, and it's going to scatter. if your going to make it a daily driver, there are some things that you can get away with but others that can cause safty/ reliability issues that should be changed.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
csracing said:
If I use the v8 Falcon spindles would I still be able to use the 6 cyl drums?
NO if you are changing your the front suspension, use mid 70s Granada spindles/ disk brakes. They are 5 bolt like the V8 Falcon, except the center hole in the wheel.

Use the conversion mounts he suggested, and definitely use a rubber engine mount.

That little rear end has been scattered by 144 inch sixes. :welcome: .... a 5.0 will make short work of it unless you reeeeeeeeeally baby it.

I know one guy who put a 302 C-4 in a 6 car with no other changes..... :nono:

If you can't do it safely and reliably, forget it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts