Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm building a 72 Camaro with a 454. Yesterday I was mocking up the motor in the frame and I used the old motor mounts for placement but got confused because I thought the guy I bought the car from said it had a small block.

So now to my question does a small black and a big block use the same motor mount postion or did this car have a big block before.

Thanks for your time.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Now you got my attention...I have a 65 Chevelle that had a 427 in it and I'm going to install a 377sbc when I get around to building it and I would like to know the same thing. Come on guys...who know's the answer to this? Don't worry man..if noone helps out here I have a good idea where we can go on line to get the right info on this question. For now we must wait on someone to answer your question though.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I'm pretty sure that sbc motor mounts work on bbc's.

edit ok, I found this on Chevy Hi Performance Magazines site.

"Installing a big-block properly requires the correct frame brackets. The two in this photo are from a ’66 Chevelle SS 396. These brackets mounted the big-block engine slightly lower than its small-block counterparts. Although small-block mounts will work, they will not position the engine properly. These big-block brackets are simply bolted to the frame and attach to the motor mounts. Although an original set may be hard to find, reproduction pieces are available from Classic Industries, Original Parts Group, and Year One. Remember too that big-blocks weigh more than small-blocks. Think about upgrading the front coil springs and sway bar to handle the extra weight"

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THat is an interesting read Ghetto Jet, Thanks. Now I wonder the difference between the 66 Chevelle and 72 Camaro. In the truck I got the motor out of it had those brackets but in my car the motor can't go any lower or the oil pan will hit the crossmember.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
The proper towers will position the engine lower than the SB. And offset it 1 inch to the right to get the proper clearence. The left tower is taller than the right one to acheave this. You might have to get the oil pan for your frame. Remember you have to get hood clearance and transmission tunnel clearance.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.