Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal got this 56 chvey 4dr sedan with three on the tree. bad motor put another stright six in for the time just to get her moving now want to drop a 350 in the thing. got the bellhousing now i want to go with the front mount engine mounts but all i find are side mount conversions for mount anyone know were to find front mounts. also how do i make the clutch linkage work since the old one mounted to the engine go cable?

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
104 Posts
front mounts

I'm doing exactly the same, putting a 350 in a 55 sedan. In my opinion (for what it's worth) I plan to go with the front mounts. The original bellhousings have side mounts that go with the front motor mounts seems plenty strong and allows placement of the engine in it's original position even though it's a 350, not a 265 or a six banger. When using the modern side mounts most are going with a single bolt crossmember trans mount. Also, side mounts can pose header clearance issues whereas front mounts do not. I'd like to hear from some other folks on this one who have been there. To find the mounts however, is a different story. I lucked out and a set was still bolted on my frame. I don't know who would have them, possibly danchuck. I'll be interested in seeing what responses you get say on this issue.

good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
front motor mounts

Chevy trucks used front mounts into the 60's for a donor, Not sure if they are the same. My 1960 clutch is hydraulic too. The slave mounts right to the bellhousing. I ditched the stock clutch/brake master and went for aftermarket willwood clutch master with matching bore. Tubing easier to reroute than linkage.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Your six cylinder didn't have the same bolt pattern as your V8?

btw - I have hooked a clutch for a V8 in these types of cars a few times. If you do the cable like what is found in a monza or vega, you have to make your own mount for under the dash. I have done this. If you use a bellcrank setup like what they came with, you get to keep all the clutch linkage stuff that you had. On your frame you'll see a little knob looking thing behind the steering box. There is a piece of metal with a matching knob that bolts to the motor above the oil filter. The 406 I put in my 55 two door had the bosses for this already done so I was able to reuse all the original clutch parts except for the fork because I couldn't find it. Swiped the fork off of an early model gm truck that used a bellcrank and made that work. I would be glad to take pictures of my setup if you're curious about it. Hydraulic setups would be even easier.

btw - The front mounts are not very complicated and you could make them if you can't get some to clean up from a junkyard. I broke the mount stud that goes from the motor part to the frame cross member. Ended up making new ones out of some grade 8 bolts, a pipe fitting of some sort and eight rubber donuts from car quest that I'm told are some manner of transmission mount. They look like the donuts for my turbo 350/400/700r4 bellhousing side mount adapter kit.

edit - Classic Chevy lists the following

55-57 motor mount kit (rubber pads, washers and stud - both sides)

55-57 Angle piece (bolts to the motor and the kit listed above connects this to the frame)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts