Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bored and thinkin about it i was wonderin since a 305 has the same size crank as a 350 could u put a 400 crank in there? just wonderin

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Great low speed torque for street driving. If you had all or most of the parts already...I might build it. Good truck engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 400 crank will have bigger mains, you would have to shave it down a little. Machine work can get expensive in a hurry. Many times it is cheaper and stronger to buy new, than to test and machine something older.

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
When stroking a 350 to a 383, you would normally use 350 5.7" rods to reduce piston side-loading on the cylinder walls. Some guys even go to a 6" rod. You can also use the 5.565" 400 rods, but like I said, they will contribute to piston side loading more than a longer rod will. Of course, the piston pin location (compression height) will be different for each rod used.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
The piston side loading is less on a 383 or a 334 than it is on a 400, and 400's though they have crappy cooling aren't too bad on bore wear- and they had the short rods from the factory, and a lot of people use crappy oil like Penzoil...

You can get a 335 kit from a lot of different companies with the proper crank, rods, and pistons- its the easiset way to go. I would go with a nice set of ported stock 305 heads, a performer manifold, and a VooDoo 252 cam, a quadrajunk carb, and small long tube headers- a GREAT daily driver motor for a truck.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
ap72 said:
The piston side loading is less on a 383 or a 334 than it is on a 400, and 400's though they have crappy cooling aren't too bad on bore wear-
I apologize for the off topic comment but I disagree with the crappy cooling statement. A friend of mine had a .060 over 400 (412) and it never ran on the warm side or overheated.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
okay, maybe I should have said COMPARITIVELY crappy cooling- granted its not like trying to run a Powerstroke off of a radiator for a Honda, but COMPARED to most of the other small blocks out there its not that great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts