Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering moving the rear spring perches in 1/2" on my mustang. The traditional way would be to cut them off and weld new perches on.

I also thought of getting 2 new perches, cut off all but 1/2", weld these on to the inside of the existing perches, and then relocate the bolt hole inboard.

There are a couple of advantages I see. 1 it's easier to get the same pinion angle, 2 it's quicker, 3 it would be easy to restore the rear end to original, just by grinding off the additions to the inside of the perches.

I've never doen this, so what do you think , are there problems with doing it this way?

·
Registered
994 Posts

I moved my springs 3/4" inboard without altering the perches at all. I made some 1/2" spacers with the locating pin offset 3/4" from the locating hole under it and clamped them in. The shock plate is wide enough to accomodate the extra width.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an absolutely BRILLIANT IDEA! :thumbup:

Since I am already using a 1" (lowering) spacer, I can just modify the spacer.

Wow well, when I get this car on the road, if I'm ever in your area, or if your ever out here, I'll have to take you out for a brewski! ;)

That'll save me a ton of work!

Did you notice any handling changes, when you moved the springs inboard?

·
Registered
994 Posts
The change involved more than moving the springs inboard. I went from old saggy monoleafs on an 8.2" Chevy rear to 3000# Mopar SS springs, new shocks and a Versailles rear. The change allowed me to run a wider tire, which allowed me to go faster at the strip. At the same time I was moving springs, I installed frame connectors, new front shocks, springs and a front sway bar, so the 'after' handling was quite improved from the 'before' handling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts