Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hahahah, just like the threads title says...I'm moving my 47 into the garage to finally start install of mii. Got a welder buddy coming over next Sat and need to move it over. It's in the field and tires are rotted 15s on the rear, no tires in the front. What I don't want want to do is buy 15 inch tires, swap em out just to change them when I replace the rear end. Is there any way I'm gonna get it in there? I'm thinking no, but hey yall r smart and have much more experience then I. Lemme hear how! I don't want to waste $

John

·
Old(s) Fart
5,800 Posts
What bolt pattern is on the wheels? Just swap out wheels and tires from a different vehicle long enough to move this one. Or spend the money and buy for used tires. The aggravation and and potential damage from trying to do this half-fast will more than make up for the expense.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When you get it in the shop, most likely you are going to find you need to move it around occasionally. Buy a used set of wheels and tires that will work for you but are resellable. Initially they will cost you more, but when done with them you can get your money back. Be nice if you could find some wheels with a dual bolt pattern that fits both rear end patterns. I know some of the rally wheels have them because I have a set on a project right now.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Don’t bother buying and hopefully reselling wheels/tires.
‘Get a set of car skates. Easy to build off them with some spare iron to support the car.
‘And you’ll still have them for the next 10 projects.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hahahah, just like the threads title says...I'm moving my 47 into the garage to finally start install of mii. Got a welder buddy coming over next Sat and need to move it over. It's in the field and tires are rotted 15s on the rear, no tires in the front. What I don't want want to do is buy 15 inch tires, swap em out just to change them when I replace the rear end. Is there any way I'm gonna get it in there? I'm thinking no, but hey yall r smart and have much more experience then I. Lemme hear how! I don't want to waste $

John
Just pull it in with a tractor. It is on dirt so it does not need rubber tires to protect the wheel rims.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just pull it in with a tractor. It is on dirt so it does not need rubber tires to protect the wheel rims.
If it has no front wheels, the situation is different, but you said no tires on the front. You have 3 choices 1. find wheels and pull it in or
2. without 4 wheels put the rear wheels on the front. attach your chain low on the rear of the truck and high on the tractor and pull it backwards.
3. If that drags too much, 3. skid the end with no wheels in on an old hood or a sheet of plywood (it has to be tied to the truck so you don't pull the truck off of the plywood.
You said field so you should have a tractor. if no tractor you may be able to winch it . If no winch and no tractor, pull it with what you have.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Ask your buddies if they know where you can borrow tires After I bought a used Case backhoe I have found lot sof uses besides diggin.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,746 Posts
Don’t bother buying and hopefully reselling wheels/tires.
‘Get a set of car skates. Easy to build off them with some spare iron to support the car.
‘And you’ll still have them for the next 10 projects.

Not sure that car skates are going to work in a field.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,746 Posts

John
You should be able to pick up a couple of old wheels and tires from a salvage yard pretty cheaply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts