Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jon:
Have you checked out the webpage in different browsers? I have recently changed over to Firefox and love it. But I have noticed a few quarks. For instance, the message box I am typing in right now is very narrow. Seems like you could define the box width another 1/3 or so and give more typing room before text wraps.

If you haven't checked out Firefox, do so. Since most malicious spyware and virus are specifically targeting Microsoft (lile 90%+), Firefox is immune to some degree.

Here is a recent article

Check them out http://www.mozilla.org/

Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,201 Posts
I have heard very good things about Firefox. Unfortunately, most of our users are on the standard Microsoft IE browsers, so we have to make sure that the majority of the code is written to appear properly in their browsers. Sometimes, when we make certain changes to accommodate certain browsers, the major browsers encounter difficulties. Text box width rendering, as you described, is a classic issue that is not usually consistent across browsers. I usually browse with either Linux or Mac browsers, so I definitely see some of these quirks myself.

Nevertheless, we will be undergoing a version upgrade of the board software in the near future, and the new code may very well already have addressed this issue.

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully it will help. I heard that since it is in its infancy, Mozilla is working out some of these issues too.

I just performed Spy Sweeper and Ad-Aware scans and neither found any spyware! That is a first for me, and I consider that very impressive.

Mircosoft is the mainstream. But I'll tell you this, Firefox is gaining ground quick. Since I use FrontPage to build my websites, I am a member at www.frontpagewebmaster.com. This is a forum for web construction. They are really pushing Firefox over there. If nothing else, it is so much safer, it gives some piece of mind. All HR members should give it consideration. If installed, you still have the option to use IE. Ed.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
When I was at the doctors office the other day I picked up a Time magazine and there was an article about Firefox. All positive I may add. I may just have to download it.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Do it Kevin. My brother takes care of me on this thing here. he really knows his stuff on it. he works in the lab at GE appliances and that is what he has set up there. He got Brownie points for it from the director.

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,201 Posts
If you're going to do it, I wouldn't erase Internet Explorer.

The BEST browser is not necessarily the one you want to use. Browser compliance has to be kept in mind.

Last year, the browser that got a lot of press was Opera. Frankly, it's a great browser, and in many ways better than IE. PC World named it the Best Browser of 2004. They were probably correct!

In a situation like this, Microsoft sets their browsers up so that if a website displays properly in IE, then it won't display properly in a competitors browser. This may be considered "dirty", and I'm no Microsoft fan, but it's what everyone does. In the handling of Opera, Microsoft was a little sloppy, and they ended up having to shell out $12 million to Opera to avoid a lawsuit: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39155572,00.htm .

SO -- for example, we might have some members say: "Hey Jon, the board is not properly displaying in Firefox for me -- can you fix it?" So, I fix it, and some other members say: "Hey Jon, the board is not properly displaying in IE for me -- can you fix it?". Then what do we do? We do what we have to do -- we set the board up so that most people (which means the ones with IE) can view it.

Among cyber-geeks, these are called the "Browser Wars". Remember "Opera", the browser I mentioned above? As of 8 AM today, Wells Fargo, one of the largest banks in the world, and the frontrunner in online banking, announced that they no longer support Opera. If you try to visit their site with Opera, you get shut out. More info: http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum9/8434.htm

My advice is: check it out, because it's cool, and probably better than IE for most. But always make sure you can shift back to a FULL version of IE in a second.

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon:
Since I originally posted this thread, I have had time to use Firefox with Hotrodders. After a while, you don't really notice the differences. The only main one for me is as I am typing in this reply box, the width could be a little bigger, but it really is not a big deal. It forced me into the habit of previewing first, which is good because it will show if someone else has posted while you have been composing your reply. It looks funny sometimes when you double post the same information as the previous guy.

As far as IE goes, your right - keep it. I need it to do my online banking with BB&T and I also use it when performing FTP uploading of files to my website.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts