Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody using the Mr. Gasket two piece timing cover for a small block chevy with any luck? I just installed one and it leaks like a sift at the bottom where the two covers meet.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I have the 2 piece cover.

I used the Felpro oil pan gasket. The extra thick one.

You have to make sure you torque the timing cover on with just enough to get it to seal. Otherwise it will bend the bottom out and start to leak.

Mine had a very small drip that would come out every once in a while. I haven't checked it lately. It think it sealed back up when I retorqued everything in the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I was putting it on I thought to myself why doesnt this thing have fasteners at the bottom because I thought it might leak.I checked and edelbrocks two piece does have fasteners at the bottom . I am going to pull this thing back off and drill it to fasten the bottom.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
You would have to get the screws to go into the block. That wouldn't be easy. I wouldn't try it. You could drill and tap a couple more holes at the bottom of the block as far down as you can go. That may help. The bulge happens in an area tha is kind of free floating though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have fixed this cover by taking it back off and drilling it at the bottom for three screws .You do not have to drill the block just both halves of the cover then install sheetmetal screws at the bottom tighten the three small screws at the bottom before tightening the rest of the cover.I dont know why Mr.Gasket didnt design it this way to begin with.Just wanted to let you know it could be done in case anybody else has this problem.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
two piece

Gotcha, without having to remove the harmonic balancer and all that. Kind of thought that may be what it was but wasnt sure.
Sounds like the perfect setup for the guy that cant decide what cam to run.
Could definately be handy if you are racing stock cars on a variety of track types.

Like my wife; should I wear the blue dress, the red one, or the black one. LOL.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Re: two piece timing cover

Max Keith said:
I am curious as to the benefits of running a two piece timing cover. I have seen them in parts catalogues forever, but none of the Stovebolt (Bow Tie) guys I know ever used them.
Unless you're swapping cams frequently the extra cost of a two piece timing cover isn't justified, which is why most people don't use them.

Mr. Gasket products are only so-so on their quality level, glad you got your leak fixed.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
nabx22 said:
I have fixed this cover by taking it back off and drilling it at the bottom for three screws .You do not have to drill the block just both halves of the cover then install sheetmetal screws at the bottom tighten the three small screws at the bottom before tightening the rest of the cover.I dont know why Mr.Gasket didnt design it this way to begin with.Just wanted to let you know it could be done in case anybody else has this problem.
I might have to look into that. Maybe I'll try that on mine. How much clearance wat there? Do you think there is enough for a 10/32" screw?

Max Keith said:
Could it be a status thing like chrome rocker covers?
On my 400 I used oil pan studs. I also have a windage tray. There isn't enough room for the nuts to fit over the studs. The cast in washers on the nuts don't clear the edge of the pan. If I ever had to pull my oil pan off I am afraid I won't be able to get my pan back on.

That being said, with the 2 piece timing cover I can take off the timing cover without disturbing the pan.

It's a Chevy thing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.