Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ordered a set of speedmaster " tall with hole" valve covers. Has anyone used a set? And will they clear roller rockers? They have it where each cover uses long bolts on two of the mounting holes? Are the bolts included and what size bolt thread are the 351 cleveland valve cover bolts in case i need to run up to the hardware store to find the correct 4 bolts. They say baffled but they should clear roller rocker arms correct? https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE314.1222/10002/-1

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
FWIW--my source say part number changed to PCE314-1088-10, and that none are in stock at Speedmaster.
I would imagine they come with bolts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dang summit said one set was in stock on both the blue and black set. Ill give it a couple days if they dont dropship straight from manufacturer ill see if jegs can cancel the order it said estimated delivery tomorrow. Theres a satin aluminum set the instead of the color option that shows in stock i may just cancel and order those if they dont ship within a couple days. Any idea if these stock style steel valve covers would clear harland sharp roller rockers. My dad used stock valve covers with a 320 solid erson cam and erson roller rockers in the 80s with no problems. Valve Covers-Steel (tmeyerinc.com)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do yourself a large favor and steer clear of anything speedmaster sells. Just pony up and buy a quality set of valve covers, you will be glad miles down the road.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you maybe right i ordered the mr gasket tall polished set and they seem not straight or warped. Trickflows are back ordered till mid year.
I had recently sold the aluminum set of of anodized blue moroso valve covers from 2006-2007.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i ordered the mr gasket as speedmaster color valve covers are discontinued. I read reviews on summit or jegs about having to sand the mating surface down where it had some high spots. Also anyone know what grommet fits the standard pvc valve or is there a 3/4 pvc valve that will work with 3/8th hose. Has anyone tried a set or mr gasket valve covers?

Attachments

·
More for Less Racer
19,898 Posts
Grommet you are using is for a breather, not the PCV. There is a correct grommet with a hole size to fit the PCV valve.

Dorman 42048 is another choice, but it fits a bigger 1.5" cover hole...original application was Ford Taurus/aeroStar 3.0 V6.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone know the correct pcv grommet for aftermarket valve covers like these that can be ordered from autozone ship to store so i dont have to eat the 12$ summit or jegs shipping fee. On my dinner table the mr gasket valve covers fit flush or straight hopefully they work out fine.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Be careful with valve cover bolt length. I just went through this on my stock cleveland heads.. stock bolt length was about 1/2" i had diff gaskets and v/c and used 1" and they didnt fit, they also bottomed out in the heads before tightening all the way. I ended up using 3/4" lengths. ill look tomorrow and see what the bolt thread size was

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have valve cover studs I used with my original blue moroso valve covers. The only ones I'll need are the two middle bolts on each cover which are just the right length. Mr gasket supplied bolts needed. But I converted to studs on both the oil pan and valve covers back in 2007 to help keep the gasket aligned and not fight bolts screwing in straight with the gasket and spray adhesive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts