Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
msd 6a wiring i have an 70s model gm hei bought a used msd 6a box
. have read that it needs a wiring harness but could i cut the harness plug and wire into the dist . i know harness is only 7.00 but i do not know if the msd box is any good .
thanks

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
stevej068 said:
msd 6a wiring i have an 70s model gm hei bought a used msd 6a box
. have read that it needs a wiring harness but could i cut the harness plug and wire into the dist . i know harness is only 7.00 but i do not know if the msd box is any good .
thanks
It would be worth $ 7 to me not to cut, solder, and heat shrink the distributor wires, and then be hard-wired-in.

At least if it broke later you could just unplug it and go on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
msd 6 series to gm hei

GM used 4 5 and 7 pin modules in the HEI distributors. Only the 4 pin module uses the magnetic pickup connector from the box in which case they recommend pn 8860 harness to the distributor and pn 8861 which goes into the distributor and replaces the GM module. If you have a 5 or 7 pin module the magnetic pickup connector is not used. I see no reason to cut the plug off. My brother-in-law sent his 6al box back this year. It was fixed, recalibrated and overnighted back to him for eighty-some dollars but again it was overnight delivery.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
MSD cahrges between 35min to 75max dollars no matter what's wrong. Even if nothing is wrong. I had a box just burned for 8 hours straight trying to find a intermitten problem. Still haven't found it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.