Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does it work? What does it do? How does it work in conjuction with a HEI system? I have a box, just the box, can I run it with the stock HEI on my car? Why would I? What would it gain me? The car is an 87 Corvette with long tube headers and 3" exhaust. A supercharger L98 TPI engine with 8 pounds of boost. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Read this from MSD...

MSD Products said:
Most performance enthusiasts know that one of the first things you do to increase power from a vehicle is to add an ignition with a hotter spark, such as an MSD. If you really stop and think about this, why isn't just one small spark sufficient? In the cylinder you have a finely atomized mixture of oxygen and highly combustible fuel under compression. Common sense would say that if just one tiny spark occurs, there will be a big explosion and combustion of the air/fuel mixture will occur in the cylinder.
FOR FULL STORY GO HERE; msd PRODUCTS

Stock HEI's are good to about 5500 RPM's ,before the plug See's it as a "constant fire" and it begins to fall behind the performance curve.....a Performance Ignition is good to about 8000 RPM before this occurs..and a CD system is good to about 10,000 RPMs

Read the site data and make your choice based on your needs..if it's a grocery getter, leave the stock ignition in place..if it's a weekend warrior, go with performance...If it's all out race, go Capacitive discharge or magneto.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.