Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for having me, great site and great info......
maybe you can help me with this e-curve stuff. I read a post on here before I registered and the guy seemed to know his **** on the e-curve.....

I have a GM crate motor 350/290 horse 4 bolt main that I put in my 86 chevy K30 pickup and I just put an e-curve under the hood. I have had the MSD 6 AL for a few months. also I just put new headers and a new 600
cfm Edelbrock carb in the mix. I can't seem to get everything synced and running smoothly... I was confused as hell with the msd instructions, I was just going to start over so I pulled #1 plug, and I have a rubber tube with a balloon on the end to help me find TDC, I absolutely know I had it right, the harmonic balancer on the crate motor was right on, and I decided to call msd tech support and make sure I had it in my mind right what I was doing and he told me I needed to back up the distributor 1 gear tooth or change the wires. I backed it up and set total to 34 and put dials on 0 and 1 and it starts well and seems to run well except at low speed.
I can't understand how it would be right with the dizzy gear off 1 tooth.

·
Administrator
9,963 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders.

I moved your thread from the Introduction forum. Tech questions are not placed in the Introduction forum. Not many members read that forum. Thanks

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,215 Posts
When you put the dizzy in and line up the dizzy gear with the cam gear it will rotate slightly. Swapping the wires, or simply moving the dizzy body to line up the rotor and cap tower will both work. Doesn't matter as long as the timing light shows the mark where you want it.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Thank you for having me, great site and great info......
maybe you can help me with this e-curve stuff. I read a post on here before I registered and the guy seemed to know his **** on the e-curve.....

I have a GM crate motor 350/290 horse 4 bolt main that I put in my 86 chevy K30 pickup and I just put an e-curve under the hood. I have had the MSD 6 AL for a few months. also I just put new headers and a new 600
cfm Edelbrock carb in the mix. I can't seem to get everything synced and running smoothly... I was confused as hell with the msd instructions, I was just going to start over so I pulled #1 plug, and I have a rubber tube with a balloon on the end to help me find TDC, I absolutely know I had it right, the harmonic balancer on the crate motor was right on, and I decided to call msd tech support and make sure I had it in my mind right what I was doing and he told me I needed to back up the distributor 1 gear tooth or change the wires. I backed it up and set total to 34 and put dials on 0 and 1 and it starts well and seems to run well except at low speed.
I can't understand how it would be right with the dizzy gear off 1 tooth.

TDC is a much more subtle event than your tube and balloon process will locate. The crank goes through many degrees without much in the way of noticeable piston movement. Therefore the process has to be a positive stop. This requires a technique since a positive stop alone still does not provide sufficient granularity to locate TDC. The technique is to secure a degree wheel to the crankshaft with a pointer. A positive stop is installed in place of the number one spark plug. The crank is turned in the normal clockwise direction till the stopped and the degrees are noted. The crank is then turned backwards till stopped and those degrees are noted. Then TDC is calculated as halfway between the two noted stopped positions.

The SBC also has the quirk of when the timing gear marks are pointing at each other the engine is setting ready to fire number 6. The crank needs to be turned one revolution so both gear marks are pointing up for number 1 firing.

Bogie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, thank you for responding. I use the balloon to know when the #1 is on the compression stroke and then I get it at exactly on TDC I mean a stop is not the only way of finding it eh?
Anyway I am not a total amateur and I pulled out the old motor and put a new one in in my barn with no help so I think I can get the timing right. It is just this MSD digital e-curve that is causing my brain to freeze up. and I really should have done the distributor only and after getting it right then installed the new carb. Because now I am not certain that it is one or the other that needs adjusting. I put a brand new edelbrock 1406 on the motor at the same time I installed the distributor and I really have no experience adjusting carbs ...yet.
I have the switches in the distributor set at 0 and 1 for a curve that is all in at I think at 3000 rpm, and Im not sure if I need to use the vacuum also. It seems to run great after 2000 rpm but it has stumbled at a green light 2 times on take off. (rare) I just need advice on where to start, when it comes to fine tuning the particular setup that I have.
I have a chevy K30 which had a diesel motor with 4000 original miles on the running gear but no telling how many hours on the motor... It had a big 41 kilowatt generator on the back which was used for welding etc.
I scrapped all of that to the frame and put a flat bed on it and built some stakes and rails. I removed the diesel and all kinds of army stuff and then replaced it with the 350. So I have this new gm crate 350 /290 horse HO 4bolt main long block with everything under the hood is now new. Including the radiator, hoses etc. and It has a turbo 400 and a transfer case with low and high FWD, and high 2WD and the ignition is MSD 6al and the e-curve, with new headers, a new 600 cfm carb, aluminum high rise intake...... and I don't know the sequence that I need to follow to figure out how to get it all synced and complimenting one another if you get my drift.. Just to get everything adjusted to the best for what my setup is.
Anyway I am beginning to get back into it where I can understand y'all a little better and I can continue learning. I try to learn something new every day. I am not at all lazy and I like a challenge. But this is a little bit over my head to get it all tuned perfectly.. Plus I have all of those curve options on the new dizzy but I don't know if I should use the vacuum or not on the e-curve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts