Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the past week i have been thinking about spending the money on a msd 6 a box (jegs has an amazing price), for my mildly built chevy 327 daily driver with an hei system. what are your thoughts on it. since the company has been in business for a long time, i would assume its a good product. and yes i am aware that i would need to buy the adapter for the hei.
i have also read that the tach on some gm products has an inline filter that may need to be bypassed inorder for the tach to function correctly with the msd box. does anyone know if a 1992 camaro would have that, and if it does, how would i bypass it?

·
Registered
29 Posts

Im not sure about the MSD 6, but the MSD 6AL came with all that you would need to wire and convert the HEI. You simply unplug the module and completely remove it and its associated wiring, plug the included purple and green pickup wire adapter to the distributors pickup and voila your HEI is converted. You shouldn't need to but a kit. Look up MSD's website and look at their instructions for installation, its simple and should tell you about what Im typing about. As far as tack hookup, the MSD box has a port just for that. I do recommend the noise filter for the MSD box though, its about $30.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
When I bought my MSD 6 I was still using the car´s (86 Camaro) computer and had to buy an adapter harness.
I was using an Autometer tach and had no problems, I later installed a factory tach and that was just fine as well.

Autonuerotic, I´ve now done what you did, swap out the module, but that´s only possible when not using the computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts