Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a friend asking me a bunch of questions about MSD stuff that I'm not familiar with.. so I'm hoping maybe you guys can shed some light on it for me :)

I'm running an MSD #8361 probillet "Ready to run" but I also use an MSD 6AL and Blaster 2 coil..

IF I were to upgrade to a crank trigger.. would I still retain the mechanical advance in the dist? or would I _HAVE_ to run a timing computer?

or is it optional that I switch the dist to 'locked out' mode and run a timing computer?

·
More for Less Racer
20,995 Posts
If you go to a crank trigger, you will have to run a timing computer if you want a timing curve. The distributor gets gutted and becomes merely a "spark direction device" putting the spark down the plug wires in the correct firing order.

The mechanical advance mechanism in the distributor has to be locked out to maintain the correct rotor phasing(alignment) with the posts in the cap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.