Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Muncie M20 that I just recently completely overhauled. Now when I am in 3rd. gear, and let off of the gas, it jumps out of gear.
I rebuilt it with a complete kit, I also put a new 2nd. gear in, and used but better then I had 3rd. gear. I also replaced both slider clutches that were used, but in better shape then the one's in it. I also put new key's and springs in it.

It shifts great, with no problems with the other gears.

If anybody has any suggestions why it would be jumping out of 3rd. gear, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Ted

·
Registered
906 Posts
tlauerjr,

I would check the bushing in the back of the crankshaft. When this gets worn the input shaft is allowed to move up and down. This movement is not very much but when the gears do not have a load on them it will allow the gear to "slip" out.
It could be the detent ball on the shift lever shaft. There is a spring behind the ball and it could be allowing the shaft to turn back to the neutral position.

Scholman

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
muncie

If you have a compition plus or similar shifter it will have stops on it. If you did not re-adjust those stops this is probably the problem. 99 out of 100 times adjusting the stops will fix it...

Keith

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the replys.

302/Z28, how much clearance should there be between the Shifter forks and the slides.

KStar, what is the proper adjustments for the stops.

Thanks, Ted

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
ADJUSTMENTS

Here is what i do, With the Engine off....
Back off both stop bolts. Then you will need to put the shifter in 1st gear and turn the bolt until it just makes contact, do not tighten the lock nut. repeat for 2nd gear. Then you will have to go into 3rd and 4th to see if the stop is ok. 1st and 3rd use the same stop as well as 2nd and 4th. when you double check 3rd and 4th just back the bolt off and see if it returns to approximately the same place. Now what i have found in about 90 % of the shifters i set-up you will need to back the stops off about 1 to 1 1/2 turn from this point. Lock up the nuts and go for a ride. You may have to tweak them some from here...If it still jumps out you will need to back them off some more, but just do the stop that effects the gear you having problems with. If it over shifts( you can tell because you will get a strange noise) then turn the stop in. Go in 1/2 turn increments...

Keith

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
tlauerjr said:
I appreciate the replys.

302/Z28, how much clearance should there be between the Shifter forks and the slides.

Thanks, Ted
Your sliders should fit a 1/4" drill bit in them without too much slack. The forks: look at the wear pattern on them and you can tell how much they are worn. The comment about the Hurst Competition Plus shifter is a good point, I forgot about that.

Vince

1 - 7 of 7 Posts