Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a Muncie 4spd with a Hurst shifter and every now and then, when starting the car, despite the shifter clearly being in the neutral position, the car jerks back like it's actually in reverse. When I press the clutch pedal and start it up (still in neutral) and then slowly release the pedal, the car starts backing up, so it's clearly in reverse gear. I then put the shifter in reverse and back to neutral and that seems to kick me off the reverse gear. After that I can go 1st, 2nd and so on.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to how to troubleshoot this issue? Does not happen all the time, but does on occasion.

Thank you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a really great condition Hurst 4 speed shifter that fits a Muncie. Been stored for a lot of years but still looks good. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks man. I jacked the car up and looked and it looks like the reverse and 1-2 arms are rubbing on each other because whoever hooked everything up apparently used too short a bracket for the reverse arm. As such, if you put in 1st too fast, it pushes the reverse arm into reverse at the same time. Then when you try to start the car, it's in reverse without the shifter actually being there. I Went to a welder and got a bracket engineered specifically for the reverse arm. Seems to work well. No rubbing or anything. Will see if the problem comes back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.