Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
True Hotrodder
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just venting so take a pass if needed.

Is it me or are people really getting lazier - if that's possible?

Time and again on this forum we see a small dribble of information that something is being looked at or is going to be taken care of but here we sit and I'm pretty sure nothing has happened. I'm not going to damn the forum, the owners, workers or anyone else, but if you say you're looking at a problem then you should be able to provide status updates - not just ignore it until someone screams about something.

I have a couple of grandsons, one lives in Florida and was living with us earlier this year. We did our best to get him straightened out and get his freshman year in HS done. We accomplished that and sent home a kid that was in a far better mindset than when he arrived. All it took was being a parent. Now back home and just a handful of months later, he's right back to the miserable mess he was before. Stealing money, smoking or taking junk **** and generally just screwing himself up. I call it lazy on his part and his parents, because in my opinion, it's the easy way out of life.

My other grandson lives about 5 miles from me. Says he wants to learn more about mechanics, interested in the race cars, etc, etc. Asked me to let him know when I am working on stuff - hell that's almost a constant but okay. Three times I have let him know mid-week - yep got stuff going on Sat/Sun. I don't hear or see anything. Too busy playing with the game box I guess.

Okay - short but done. Thanks.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,688 Posts
In short, society has short attention spans. It's made worse by the world of instant gratification and a government who is always promising handouts to those who wait long enough. It's a cultural problem in general with a easy answer but no easy solution. At least one that requires work. The internet is only around 30 years old and has changed everything so quickly. Faster than any other technology in the history of the world. We don't even know what the ramifications will be...yet. Humans in general tend to assimilate to the people around them. We call them "influancers" and there sometimes more influancers that send them in a direction we don't feel comfortable with. I even see a little of this in my own kids. They say they want something, but they aren't willing to do what's needed to get there. They see me do it, but so many others are telling them want someone else to give it to them. Sometimes it works and it's frustrating to see it happening because it emphasis the problem. One of my kids wants a cell phone, I'm not buying it. He's 10, he can find a way to make the money to get his own. I'm even willing to get him in touch with the people that'll pay him enough for the work he needs to do. So far, he isn't motivated enough.
We all got into trouble when men in suites replaced men in overalls.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
We had some small limbs blow down recently , as my health deteriorates I'm less able to do things so my wife called the three grandkids who live 1/2 block from us . I went out with them , they stayed 20 minutes , they " missed " most of what needed to be done ! They asked grandma for money , she offered them each an apple , they left offended . They went home & told their mother we were " mean ". I reminded them that Christmas was coming . Not only do they not WANT to work , they don't know HOW to work . The problem , neither did their mother & the sperm donor is worse , but that's another story .

·
Registered
772 Posts
Things have been going down the ****ter since the end of the 50's with the advent of the "hippie" culture. It was exacerbated by one so-called dr benjamin spock and not the one from Star Trek.

·
Global Moderator
9,751 Posts
I see this online need for instant answers stuff each day. A simple online search will answer so many questions for people and provide more questions. My older brother wonders how I find information on olde classmates or friends that dropped out of sight.. I tell him the same thing 5 times a year: Online search, public information sites.

Grandkids: geez what a mess ours are. Mostly the parents fault in my case. Mother is bat chit crazy, lazy, dont cook, lazy, barely can wash clothes, lazy.. She is Currently in long rehab for drug addiction (again). Our son died suddenly in 2017: a widow maker heart attack at age 44. So the kids have no father , the mother is gone in rehab and was useless yrs before that. Mom's 2 sisters stepped up and have custody of the 3 youngest kids in TN. Oldest grand daughter (23) is doing pay for view online nudity - sex stuff. We are so proud of her. #sarcasm . 21 yr old grand daughter sits in her bedroom all day with mental issues from her mom''s side of the family (grandma was bad chit nutz) .. Depression, agoraphobia , anorexia.

Dont feel alone... everybody has a story. or 2.

My wife's 82 yr old sister just learned this summer she has 2 grandkids from her First born son (he never married) that died 20 yrs ago from cancer. That DNA online genealogy websites provided the kids with information. These "new" grand kids are 38 and 40 yrs old with their own kids (great grand kids) . The sister calls her 2nd son asks him if he knew about either of his brothers kids.. His answer? Yes. So mom asks him "Is there anything else I should know about?" Answer: Yes.. you should call Gary (3rd son) LOL

·
Registered
582 Posts
Kids are lazy. My own included. But, my wife and I do require them to do chores around the house. I say that as long as they're on the payroll im gonna get some work out of them. They do the overwhelming majority of the grass cutting, bot here and at my parents house. We mow about 6-8 acres total, which takes time. I still do all of the trimming, which i hate. I told both of them that i would trade places with them if they felt like they were getting the short end of the stick. Id gladly drive in circles on one of the mowers before trimming around two houses, two garages, and the ditchline along 500 feet of road frontage. My two oldest girls know that they need to be out in the garage with me when I work on their stuff, unless they are at work or cutting grass. My youngest knows this too, and has actually expressed a little interest in working on stuff in the garage with me. She has said that she wants to be a mechanical engineer. Sounds good to me, but she needs to apply herself more. She has the brains, but not the drive. Fun stuff, raising kids.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Before pasting "good for nothing" labels on everyone younger than yourselves...

Consider your own dated perceptions. The Maya may have thought anyone who uses the wheel was lazy. Your fathers may have thought anyone not willing to sleep and eat on a friend corpse pile until they catch a bullet in the face or kill fifty men by age 21... was lazy. Some may think dropping a nuke is lazy. Some may think inventing computers is lazy. Horses were probably glad to see automobiles invented, for the first few generations. Some may think hookers and dope never existed until they grew up and found out they exist. I think it is unwise to assume you are facing things no generation before you ever did. And downright ignorant to cast stones but expect none back.

I don't have kids though. Too lazy I guess. :rolleyes: Everyone born after GTOs came out is that way according to what I am hearing here. If we (all born after you) hate and destroy ourselves because you tell us you were better, will you elders quit running your insulting mouths? History says no.

Look inward first. Casting blame for current human nature on youth in general is lazy. Every generation thinks it is unique and best, just like you.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Hmm:unsure:

I mowed and figured it would be time to talk myself out of a corner again by now. Don't want to get another thread closed. This

was playing in my head and I reckon it influenced my upbringing. Lazy just stays in bed. Don't want no money or bread. Don't make no effort like they should. If they drowning, they don't clutch no straw. :oops: Now thats pretty bad but not necessarily young.

Chas, I "took a pass" on the first round ;) and I do get it. Theres a wide range of variation in the sense of responsibility, ambition, and entitlement among the entire population. Probably always been that way though, since agriculture has been around. In varying degrees, yep.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

Consider your own dated perceptions. The Maya may have thought anyone who uses the wheel was lazy. Your fathers may have thought anyone not willing to sleep and eat on a friend corpse pile until they catch a bullet in the face or kill fifty men by age 21... was lazy. Some may think dropping a nuke is lazy. Some may think inventing computers is lazy. Horses were probably glad to see automobiles invented, for the first few generations. Some may think hookers and dope never existed until they grew up and found out they exist. I think it is unwise to assume you are facing things no generation before you ever did. And downright ignorant to cast stones but expect none back.

I don't have kids though. Too lazy I guess. :rolleyes: Everyone born after GTOs came out is that way according to what I am hearing here. If we (all born after you) hate and destroy ourselves because you tell us you were better, will you elders quit running your insulting mouths? History says no.

Look inward first. Casting blame for current human nature on youth in general is lazy. Every generation thinks it is unique and best, just like you.
Perhaps if you were a bit more experienced , your perception would be different , but then again ?

·
Global Moderator
9,751 Posts
A friend of mine, her brother has been a loser his whole life. After his teen years, the family expected him to get with it.. At 56 yrs olde, he is younger than me. He lived at home till his mid 40s.. Jobs came and went. Mostly not his fault he lost jobs or quit. I mean the boss like expected the guy to show up to work on time each day. Or the alcohol problem was not his fault. The drug arrests were not his fault... that is if you ask him who is at fault here.

Just this year after living with his oldest sister (my friend) for 6 weeks... He left the state to move in with the youngest sister. This is his last chance. There are 8 kids in this family,, he has used up his welcome with all of them since his dad tossed his **** out.

This fellow owns nothing, although he just bought a motorcycle for transportation as he actually does have a job at this point. He was talking to his oldest sister about retirement when he is 62.. That fired up his sister as she asked him "retire from what?" You have not held the same job for a full 2 years at any point in your life.

So : Yes people may seem judgy about some folks. I say if it quacks like a duck , it is a duck.

·
True Hotrodder
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I apologize as I did not mean to hit a "nerve" with anyone.

I was just blowing off some steam, mainly at this forum which I have tried to support and it irritates me that people have made requests yet there appears to be zero ownership of the issues. That just sort of rolled into my two grandsons that at this point I should be very, very proud of but instead I am a bit disappointed in.

It's a joke I guess but I started helping with the family business when I was 6 years old. I don't know why but somehow I understood that it was important to the survival of our family, my family. I know there are kids out there today busting their ass just like there has always been. But these two act like waking up in the morning ruins their day.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
You're certainly not lacking ego ! Ill grant you that ...
You'd rather have this than the other extreme.

I didn't mean to tick any of you off really but man... ragging on youngers happens here quite a bit. If any of you are thinking not, or that I don't have the same kind of complaints and experiences of my own cued up, that'd be a mistake.

I ain't ticked off either, just Pontiac enthusiasts are odd. Unusual motivations. Kid complaining is less annoying than a barking dog, I'll grant you that.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
You misread that. And now we are gunning stuff down. It is clear... the bad I obviously bring far outweighs any good I think I bring. OK then.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
A friend of mine, her brother has been a loser his whole life. After his teen years, the family expected him to get with it.. At 56 yrs olde, he is younger than me. He lived at home till his mid 40s.. Jobs came and went. Mostly not his fault he lost jobs or quit. I mean the boss like expected the guy to show up to work on time each day. Or the alcohol problem was not his fault. The drug arrests were not his fault... that is if you ask him who is at fault here.

Just this year after living with his oldest sister (my friend) for 6 weeks... He left the state to move in with the youngest sister. This is his last chance. There are 8 kids in this family,, he has used up his welcome with all of them since his dad tossed his **** out.

This fellow owns nothing, although he just bought a motorcycle for transportation as he actually does have a job at this point. He was talking to his oldest sister about retirement when he is 62.. That fired up his sister as she asked him "retire from what?" You have not held the same job for a full 2 years at any point in your life.

So : Yes people may seem judgy about some folks. I say if it quacks like a duck , it is a duck.
I normally require quack plus waddle. Losers are losers I get that but may not agree or ever get with it. Who do I talk to about getting my account banned?

·
Registered
651 Posts
First, as we get old, we see things differently. I was never wild, unruly, out of the law..., but sometimes, I look at things I did and really wonder... about myself! And I was a "good kid"!
Good people do not make for good stories, we only hear about problem people, they are actually the minority, a small minority, but they are the ones making the news, keeping (grand) parents awake at night... Relax, and look for the good people, we are surrounded by them! And as I mentioned above, if someone younger looks, well, let's say lazy, well, maybe we are too old! Some kids seem to take longer to evolve, just keep guiding them.
Light-hearted example: I own that Machine Head album, love it (well, Made in Japan is better, but, whatever!), how can kids nowadays like that rap stuff? Oh, OK, guess I'm too old now!

·
Global Moderator
9,751 Posts
Who do I talk to about getting my account banned?
We do not usually ban members at their request. It throws timelines off in threads when a member of long time wants their posts deleted. Usually banned members are new so the change to timelines is minimal

1 - 20 of 20 Posts