Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced upper & lower control arms with 'Speedway' econo assemblies (uppers have the red poly bushings while the lowers look stock). Could not find torque specs so I torqued them at ride height nearly as tight as I could get them with an open end wrench (body doesn't allow access with sockets/torque wrench). For the 1st ten miles it was nice & quiet, it then began to get progressively more squeaky. It's now worse than with the old bushings although noise was not the reason for the changes. Does anyone have torque specs for the bushings? What lube can be used & how should it be applied?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, how should I go about lubricating my new bushings without removing the bushings from the cross-shaft. I have removed the new UCA (with the red poly bushings) & don't see how to get the PTFE grease between the shaft and bushing. Will shooting silicone spray into the end of the bushing do the trick? I envision grease being coated on the shaft before installing the bushing but don't want to destroy the new bushings along the way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since they are normally lubed during assembly , I've no idea how to advise you .
I just finished removing (carefully) a bushing from the arm & there is no lube whatsoever on or between the cross-shaft and bushings. The more I think about this the more I realize I don't know. So do I apply maybe anti-seize or PTFE / silicone grease to the shaft? Should the poly spool be rotating about its pin or are they basically an assembly that rotates about the shaft? ... I know, I've got a lot of questions. Thanks for your responses!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have learned thru other posts & experimentation that the poly bushing should rotate on the inner sleeve as well as within the outer sleeve. This rotation can not take place without lubrication between the parts be it silicone or petroleum grease. This forum & it's members are great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.