Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have Attempted To Convert A I6 66 Mustang Into A 289 Car. Only Problem So Far Is That The Engine Sits Approx 2 Inches Forward From Where It Needs To Set. If I Swap My Conversion Motor Mounts Around I Can Get The 2 Inches And My Crossmember Lines Up And My Headers Will Fit But My Steering Linkage (center Link) Is All Over My Oil Pan And Wont Allow The Engine To Fall All The Way Down. Do I Need To Change The I6 Steering Componets To The V8 Version To Get My Clearance Or Is There A Different Oil Pan I Can Use.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
If you haven't changed the frame mounts to V8 frame mounts that could be your problem. There should be no interference with the steering linkage if you have the correct mounts and the front sump pan that Ford used up until the early 70s on all cars. If you have a front sump pan, you have either not installed the V8 frame mounts, installed them on the wrong side or upside down or have the wrong engine mounts. They used a pretty standard engine mount for many years and it is readily available. I would check all the above. What you are asking about is a drop in... with the correct parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i6 to 289 conversion

the sump of my oil pan is in the rear. the mounts and frame brackets i am using is suppose to be a better stronger replacement for the stock frame brackets. my oil plug comes out of the very rear of the pan facing trans. possiby wrong oil pan?

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
You need an early front sump pan and you also need to upgrade the suspension (especially the spindles) to V8.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
While you are there install the 75-80 Granada 8" rear end, front disk brakes, combination valve, and master cylinder, 1" anti-roll bar. Just a bolt on deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts