Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone watch the Muscle Car show on Dec. 24th? Anyway Lou is building a 65 Mustang and this episode was about the front suspension that he was putting in. What I know is that it is a Heidts Mustang II crossmember, MII control arms from Southern Rods and S-10 dropped spindles from Belltech.

Has anyone seen or heard of S10 spindles used in a Mustang II application like this. It has my 3 brain cells turning. Any info. would be great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i watched what i could of it with the kids running and screaming through the house, LOL! He said the reason he used the s-10 spindles was because there are a lot more stuff out there as far as brakes and suspension stuff goes that costs a lot less. That was my understanding of what he said.

That looked to be a KILLER set-up but i for one don't have the $1800+/- for a front end, so i guess i will use what i got for now until i can get the money to someday ....... ahh who am i kidding, i will just use what i got. LOL

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,828 Posts
S10 spindles are the same as metric spindles. A common thing to do with tubuler uppers and nova lowers or chevelle lowers in circle tracking. Light brakes and cheap replacement. Pinto spindles are stronger and lighter though. But you gotta weld a brake bracket and use special bearing if you want the GM metric brake rotors with GM small metric calipers for more weight savings. We don't use brakes in circle tracking so we make things super light and save the brakes for loading on the trailer.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Heights and Fatman's makes a dropped spindle for the MII adaptable to 11 inch brakes.

Did not see the show, but on that program there has been lots of major errors stated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xntrik said:
Did not see the show, but on that program there has been lots of major errors stated.
You're probably right. I guess anything can be fabricated to work in some fashion. I was curious because if its all bolt on stuff, that would make life pretty easy. But then they sell aftermarket bolt on stuff for the MII/Pinto anyway. Really more curious then anything. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As much as I hate to revive old threads, has anyone ever heard of any such thing being successfully done? This is exactly what I'm looking to do with one of my current projects. I have the chassis up on stands being plumbed at the moment so the sooner I can find a solution the better!

·
Registered
620 Posts
There is a difference in the height of the steering arm up/down in relation to the a-arm outer pivot points between MII and the GM spindles, the former being higher by quite a bit. If you were to use S-10 spindles on a Mustang cross member you'd need to modify appropriately, such as by lowering the portion of the crossmember that mounts the rack in relation to that which mounts the a-arms (watch for clearance at the steering shaft then). Purple car in pic has a custom crossmember to use 3rd-gen Camaro spindles which are similar to S-10 at the bottom together with MII or Pinto steering rack, not difficult to work out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the reply kso

Adjusting the rack position shouldn't pose much of a problem. My bigger concern is overall suspension and steering geometry with regards to how all of the components will play well together or not as a system.

I'm not completely sold on trying to make an MII setup work just yet, if it can even be done successfully. My original plan was to swap in a complete g-body/metric subframe but I've been having second thoughts due to the slightly narrower than ideal track width and wonky steering design. I had considered widening the subframe, which would both widen the track and also allow me to run a 3rd gen f-body steering center link which would in turn largely correct the known steering issues, but at that point I wonder if I'd just be better off fabbing a crossmember from scratch...

kso what control arms are you running on that car?

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,736 Posts
Actually no it's not an option and has nothing to do with this thread, neither from a technical nor budgetary standpoint. Please remove your post and these that have followed it. Thanks
Looks like your three brain cells are showing. Well, maybe two...

Russ

·
Registered
620 Posts
kso what control arms are you running on that car?
Custom fabbed to use torsion bars but they are basically the same dimensions pivot-to-pivot as for a Mustang II. It was an evolution, fortunately happening mostly on paper before metal fab work was done. Started with all MII stuff and dimensions, then decided to use (adjustable) torsion bars instead of springs which also kept it kinda Mopar-ish but required the custom control arms w/ bar sockets, then found that with GM (G-body) spindles with the lower steering I could lower the steering rack to fit under the oil pan better which actually made the GM spindles preferable to MII, then upper a-arms with inner pivots where they wind up wouldn't package w/ a Hemi in this case so I went to 3rd-gen Camaro (shhhh...) sorta-McPherson-strut style (which integrate shock absorbers but not springs), which conveniently for the stage I was at are the same below the spindle line as the G or S-10 parts. With all that, how does it work and package? Great.

So I'd be a believer in using GM spindles w/ the MII suspension, with the changes necessary to the rack position and ball joint hardware.

Probably the upper-inner a-arm pivots would work as-is with the G-body spindle being only a little taller then the MII, or at-least it'd be close. Generally w/ a front suspension you can use taller spindles (ball-joint to ball-joint) than stock design if you don't over-do it, for example '70s F-body would be too tall to replace an MII with but G-body would be OK with some checking.

One more thing to look at: Steering arm length, i.e. tie-rod pivot distance our from steering c/l. If the GM's are longer it will slow your steering down a little bit which wouldn't be that big of a deal. That I don't recall what the or any difference was.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
As much as I hate to revive old threads, has anyone ever heard of any such thing being successfully done? This is exactly what I'm looking to do with one of my current projects. I have the chassis up on stands being plumbed at the moment so the sooner I can find a solution the better!
Speedway has a spindle https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...VtzTOT3UreLnyuhBd7H_CuncwCKlPJYBoCdI8QAvD_BwE That is made to use the 11" metric GM rotor, and has the shorter steering arm to be used with the Mustang steering rack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.