Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any knowledge if this is/has been a common swap in the past.

I work for Speedway, and we don't offer any kits in that configuration. I am talking about 37-48 spindles.

If anyone has any information on what it takes to get this done, please let me know.

Nairb

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
;)

With the Mustang II/Pintos having a 4 lug wheel ... I doubt if this has been a high swap over priority ... :D

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have used the Pinto/Must II rotors and also Ranger/Granada rotors. I make up a spacer/adapter to fit the old ford spindle. Spacer is about 1" long. bored out to fit over the spindle/axle shaft. Counter bored a bit so it fits tight against the shoulder of the spindle. I try to make the inner bore about a .001" press fit and the outer surface is turned for a std Ford Pinto seal and inner wheel bearing race.

Then I turn down the outer part of the axle (threaded). To fit a Ford outer wheel bearing. The threaded portion has to be threaded more as the hub is narrower than the old stuff. Then mount new hub. mark a cut off spot and shorten orig spindle. Use a cutoff wheel to extend the groove and re drill a cotter pin hole.

In the good old days I used to take the old junk Pinto rotors. Knock the rotor part off. Turn down the OD. Redrill for 5 bolt and use modified VW type II rotors and calipers. 3/8" flat plate brackets. (Have a set on the "T" bucket now.

For spacer material I have used mild steel and I have used discarded old bearings from the bucket beside my press. As long as the dimensions are correct and the bearings fit snug on the adapters. Away you go!!!

Nowdays I try to use aftermkt calipers, or some BMW with a Granada spindle/rotor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.