Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched without much success finding answers to swapping a Chevy Inline 6 292 cid into my 64 1/2 Mustang.
Please no haters. This Mustang is not rare, over 1 million made. The inline Ford 170 cid is very tired and worn. The body has been modified very much. I have a 292 Chevy that is very sweet in a rotting body. I have this interesting Mustang body that needs an engine and a rotting truck with a sweet engine looking for a body. I am limited on funds. I am going to marry the 2 together, and junk the truck body. I have a power glide, a 3 sp Saginaw, and the Ford auto. Any info on swapping would be appreciated.

Mustang Truck

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:)

Vann............

I believe you are trying to do this the hard way........:cool:

I like the Mustang.............cut and all but the 292 Inline 6 is not a great choice for the little pony.

I suggest selling the truck and getting a SBF for the Mustang.....or going really cool and getting a SBC........

·
Administrator
18,428 Posts
Cute Mustang....or Ranchero/Mustang.

Why not sell the 292 and get a motor that you won't have a big hassle making fit. It the 282 had an auto trans, it would be a lot easier, but not much. The 292 is much taller than your six and you may have hood clearance problems also.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Why not sell the Chevy and use the money for a carbed 5.0?

I have a '73 Camaro and a '61 Ranchero. I am not biased either way toward Chevy and Ford. I am however biased toward being cheap, easy, and practical.

You can sell your Chevy engine locally or on Ebay. If on Ebay just state that you want the buyer to arrange shipping.

If you can get ahold of a '85 and up 5.0, they come with roller cams aand one piece rear seals. They also have forged pistons and rods. They are cheap to build, and an easy swap for your Mustang.

I put a 5.0 in my '61 Ranchero. That was the hardest shoehorn operation that I have attempted. It worked, it worked well, and it worked easy. If you have any question I can help you along with the swap.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
poncho62 said:
Cute Mustang....or Ranchero/Mustang.

Why not sell the 292 and get a motor that you won't have a big hassle making fit. It the 282 had an auto trans, it would be a lot easier, but not much. The 292 is much taller than your six and you may have hood clearance problems also.
I agree. A good choice might be the 300 cu. in. Ford 6 cylinder truck engine. Should have the same mounts and bell-housing pattern as the rest of the Ford 6's so it would pretty much be a bolt in with a lot more power.

Centerline

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
why are you staying in line 6? before my freind did his 289, he had the straight 6. did all the basic hotrodding tricks, the power they make is not up to date. the power wasnt there but the fun still was.

i guess the 300 would be good, but if you have to buy the motor and build it . you know, im not gonna ask. inline 6 guys are inline 6 guys, and that is what im basing this 300 decision on

i like the inlines for there simplicity. the modern ohc imports are a breeze to tear-down /assemble.i think they spoiled me. its a shame the old iron dukes werent the like. the quad 4 was a joke, i worked at wolf pontiac. what a piece of crap. the kids in high school loved it,but there knowlegde of it ended at a oil change and a 0-60. gimme a B or H series import(possibly the best engines ever made). better yet you will never be disappointed with a big block. they arent that common anymore. 5.0l's you could probly get dirt cheap . i think im just rambling now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think you into the same trouble with the 292 as folks have found with the Ford 300 six, it's just too darn tall to fit.
Neverminding the carb will sit about 4-5 inches ABOVE the hood, the front of the valve cover will also protrude through the hood. You can only set the engine down so much before you start dragging the oil pan. Even though a 300 six will bolt up drectly to a small block Ford's transmission this is why you've never seen one in a MUstang. They're just too big. "Truck" type straight sixes are a lot taller than people seem to realize. Get a measuring tape and take some serious measurement of what you've got now and what you intend to use if you need more convincing.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
GypsyR said:
I think you into the same trouble with the 292 as folks have found with the Ford 300 six, it's just too darn tall to fit.
Neverminding the carb will sit about 4-5 inches ABOVE the hood, the front of the valve cover will also protrude through the hood. You can only set the engine down so much before you start dragging the oil pan. Even though a 300 six will bolt up drectly to a small block Ford's transmission this is why you've never seen one in a MUstang. They're just too big. "Truck" type straight sixes are a lot taller than people seem to realize. Get a measuring tape and take some serious measurement of what you've got now and what you intend to use if you need more convincing.
I'm not a Ford guy so I guess if the 300 is that much taller than the "car" 6 it could be a problem in a Mustang.

Centerline

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love inlines, I have a built 300, but swapping a 300 into a mustang is not a very viable option. It's too long and too tall.

I haven't owned a 292 Chevy, but they look too big to me, and I just wouldn't feel right about doing it. I like to be different, hence my hot rod six, but I also am not a big fan of bastard swaps, and it would be way easier and probably as cheap to drop a 302 in there....

·
Administrator
18,428 Posts
A friend of mine put a 300 in a 61 Falcon..............actually, he won the 73(I think) Indy Nationals with it in H/MP ..............I guess the Falcon must have more room.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
engine swap

save a lot of work and install a 250 CID Ford 6. Its the same block design with the exception of a slightly taller deck height, and you will have to change bell housings as it uses the small block V-8 bellhousing. One other thing, the 250 is a 7 main engine vs the 5 main 170.

In the early 70's I swapped a 240 ( same block as 300) into a 67 mustang that had a 200 six in it. It was a pain to do. Ran into some mod problems with the pan and front cross member. Good thing it wasnt my car.

The 250 came out in 69 and was used in Mustangs, Mavericks, etc extensively. Its a good torquey engine. They were rated at 155 hp (flywheel) in 69-71.

The reason I dont recommend swapping in a 302 or larger is due to the rear axle, being a lighter unit and may not take the extra HP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replys. The 292 I have is kind of part of the family. Owned her for over 25 years and my dad before me. She has under 10,000 miles on the last build.

I don't see how length would be an issue.

Yes the 292 is about 3 inches taller than a Chevy 250. I am not overly concerned with hood clearance. The rest of the body is no longer original anyway. The pan is also deeper but a 250 pan will bolt on. Side draft carbs would also help with clearance.

I bought a trans mount many years ago that was a weld in tubular with a 3 inch drop. I was thinking that I could do something similar with the 292 motor. Cant remember where I gotten it from.

I am also wondering how to bolt the Chevy motor to the Ford Automatic.

The Chevy six also can use v8 Mounts with the 90 degree bracket. So any knowledge of a Chevy V8 swap into a Mustang would be of great help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts