Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting fellow enthusiasts,
I have messed around with cars and bikes most of my younger life, but like all of us family, work etc... tend to eat up our available time, but I am about to retire so i bought myself a retirement project a 1942 Studebaker champion 2 door coupe. it has had quite a bit of work done on it already its been shaved, frame partially boxed, mustang 2 front end grafted in 9 inch ford rear end installed on leaf springs SBC motor mounts installed the beginnings of frenched tail light installation it has a straight body minimal rust mainly surface rust all panels and doors are present interior is 100% gutted no wiring. I have a line on a 1985 corvette TPI engine with a 700R4 transmission for power I think i would like to convert the front end to coil overs and either graft a C3 vette rear clip or put a 4 link coil over on the ford 9 inch on the rear end pictures to follow

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Welcome Jeff, yes we need pictures! Sounds like you have a solid car/frame to start and that's important. I put a C4 under my '39 Chevy, didn't like it and pulled it out (long story). I'm a big fan of 4 bar or triangle 4 bar rear suspension with air bags NOT coilovers. Anyway, go to shows, get to know fellow rodders in your area and do research on suspension/wiring/interiors/ power train and it will pay off. Pick a direction and stick with it. Above all don't let the project get the best of you or worse yet lose interest. Target is to drive the car to a 3 day event.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Greeting fellow enthusiasts,
I have messed around with cars and bikes most of my younger life, but like all of us family, work etc... tend to eat up our available time, but I am about to retire so i bought myself a retirement project a 1942 Studebaker champion 2 door coupe. it has had quite a bit of work done on it already its been shaved, frame partially boxed, mustang 2 front end grafted in 9 inch ford rear end installed on leaf springs SBC motor mounts installed the beginnings of frenched tail light installation it has a straight body minimal rust mainly surface rust all panels and doors are present interior is 100% gutted no wiring. I have a line on a 1985 corvette TPI engine with a 700R4 transmission for power I think i would like to convert the front end to coil overs and either graft a C3 vette rear clip or put a 4 link coil over on the ford 9 inch on the rear end pictures to follow

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Jeff, looks like a solid car. Should be on the road by Friday? First fuel injection I ran was a TPI which got me into f.i. and never looked back. Might have a small problem finding a new dizzy. What electronics will you be running, OEM or some aftermarket? The TPI is batch fire, single coil which makes things much simpler and the price comes done too. I think I would use a Megasquirt unit because of price and tuning. For rear suspension, if you intend to do some changes I would go with triangle 4 bars and air bags. Never going to do another coil over! You have a large trunk, load it up for a trip and hit the compressor button, back to level. Coilovers it's necessary to crawl under and jack them around. Price difference too. Don't want to sound like I'm steering toward Meagsquirt but I have a unit for sale at $300.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Mine is a Megasquirt II and comes with everything. Relay board, all wiring, test module, ECU and complete documentation. I built this some years ago and ran a LT1 on it for a short while as a test. The Megasquirt site has so much info on fuel injection it's like drinking out of a fire hose but it falls into place after a while. Actually a fun project that taught me lots about F.I. At the Megasquirt site they tell you to get a cheap laptop because if you drop it no big loss! I got a cheap notebook and used their free tuning program.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.